Maris Pilsner - James Morton - Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I flicked past this recipe in the Brew book and thought "That's looks easy enough". I could start that off now and have some nice lager for when the sun comes out.

Anyone done this?

100% MO, two additions of Tettnang and an aroma steep of Hallertau Mittelfrueh

I dont have any of those hops (in fact I don't even have the MO either yet)

I have Celeia, EKG, Norther Brewer, Challenger and Hersbrucker

Elsewhere in the book he says a sub for Tettnang is Saaz / Hersbrucker and sub for Hal. Mitt. is Saaz / Tettnang

This tool is quite interesting: Find Similar Hops - Beer Maverick - so stick a hop in and it uses 70 values to provide you with a percentage match.

So using tettnang as a bittering hop, my closest available would be hersbrucker and hal. mitt. as aroma - actually, no exact hits, so . . .

As Celeia is a Saaz sub, and an aroma hop, I guess I could use this in place of Hal. Mitt for the late aroma?

I would apprecaite your thoughts on this please.

Cheers

Hi @UKSkydiver. What base malt have you got? Any pale malt will do, but if you've got to buy some, why not get Pilsner? Bestmalz Pilsner would be my favourite, it makes a really clear beer. I'd use the Celeia (a kind of Styrian Golding) for bittering and the Hersbrucker for late additions.
Good luck.

I just used my pilsner up on the Cali Common and so I have no base malt. I generally use MO - and thought this recipe looked interesting - so I was going to order a few kg of MO.

Thanks for the thoughts on hops. Interesting that it's completely the opposite of what I was thinking. Shows what I know (4/5ths of bugger all)

I will compare and see what the amounts / IBUs are.

Cheers

Currently drinking a faux pilsner with Maris Otter extra pale and Saaz. I used a kveik yeast called Ubbe, which isn't what I expected but I would definitely make this again using a different yeast as all in all its enjoyable.

Currently drinking a faux pilsner with Maris Otter extra pale and Saaz. I used a kveik yeast called Ubbe, which isn't what I expected but I would definitely make this again using a different yeast as all in all its enjoyable.
I've got some ubbe, which I haven't used yet. Supposed to be fresh and clean. How did you find it?
As for Moreton, I'm just not convinced. Let's do a Chevallier and Saaz SMaSH, shall we, and call it lager!

Last edited:
I've got some ubbe, which I haven't used yet. Supposed to be fresh and clean. How did you find it?
As for Moreton, I'm just not convinced. Let's do a Chevallier and Saaz SMaSH, shall we, and call it lager!
It's really nice, but for this brew I'm just not sure it is a pilsner. Perhaps it's my fault for changing 2/3 ingredients...
I fermented at 35c and it was done in days as is usual with Kveik. I didn't use finings and 3 weeks later it still hasn't cleared up at all. There's an overwhelmingly fruity/citrussy taste and I can't say if it's from the yeast or hops. Perhaps drinking it so early means the hops are much brighter than they usually would be, that could be something to take into consideration.

Wouldn't go out of my way to brew another at the moment but maybe in summer it could be the road to some easy drinking simple lagers?

Cheers

Back