Marmalade Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrobson

Reaction score
I’m just curious if anyone has an all grain recipe that includes marmalade or has any experience in brewing with any?

My aunties husband has made a load himself and is interested in using some for a brew.

Thanks in advance!

No, I haven't, nor would I. But why not? The modern trend in beer brewing is to take a fanciful description and apply it literally. So Fuller's ESB is described as having "marmalade hints" which is all the excuse needed to chuck marmalade in the next brew. Many American hops have grapefruit flavours, so it's now quite popular to chuck grapefruit peel into beer. It is not enough to hear of certain roast malts described as "chocolate malt", why not really add real chocolate? Hum... suddenly "marmalade beer" doesn't sound so bad.

I'd go easy to start. Perhaps adding 1lb at the end of a boil for a 23-25L batch.

I did this with a John Bull Best Bitter kit shortbrewed to 15 litres with 300g of sugar and 3 big tablespoons of black treacle.

After fermentation to make a Christmas Beer per gallon I added :

5g cascade, 4 tablespoons of marmalade, mixed spice, lemon zest, cinammon stick, allspice berry, 2 cardomom pods.

I just melted it down in water and simmered it for a few minutes and added it in. 12 days after bottling I gave it to people at a party and it was raved about. I'm going to do it again in the next few days.

The thing is with the marmalade you're really just adding a lot of sugar which won't bring any character itself, and with that whatever orange is leftover, which you could probably do more efficiently with other methods. Definitely do it if you've got loads - I'm doing it again because I picked up loads of jars of it cheap. I wouldn't bother with the Asda super cheap nonsense that's basically transparent.

If it's real marmalade it's made with bitter oranges which is a totally different taste to ordinary eating oranges.
Wold Top yorkshire brewery do a marmalade porter which I remember as being very nice much to my surprise as I'm not usually very fond of beers with `extras' in them.

My last attempt to add orange to a stout failed miserably. I never thought of adding marmalade, I'll give it a go as my extra fermentable,

I have used it few times put it in a christmas beer with loads of other adjuncts, mincemeat etc and was ok. I have got in a american IPA at the moment to enhance the orange flavour with mandarina bavaria plus other hops cascade mosaic rakau and citra. Will post when kegged how it turns out, by the way added it last 5 mins of boil

Wonder if the marmalade could be added straight to the fv not to the boil as in theory it should already be sterile having been boiled during manufacture?

Yes it can Clint I have done it that way too as you say it is sterile as jarred in the factory

Latest posts

Back