Marmalade IPA?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveH

Regular.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried a marmalade addition to a citrusy IPA or pale ale?

Got a tin of Robertson's marmade in Aldi today thinking it may work, it's oranges, citric acid and pectin which you add water/sugar to when making marmalade.

Will the pectin cause problems? Considering using the whole (450g) can in a 12litre batch.

Plan is maris otter with a bit of Vienna and caramalt, bitter with magnum then add centennial, cascade and the marmalade tin near the end of the boil?

Am I crazy to attempt this? :laugh8:

IMG_20190127_181616287.jpg

I've used marmalade several times in Ipa's and standard beer/ales. You will get a little of the flavour transpose to the beer but I would use it with say Mandarina Bavaria which gives a orangey taste to the beer as well to compliment it. I usually add it to the last 5 mins of the boil or to the fermenter

Good for you. Have you put it out there anywhere or willing to share? Not aiming to put you in a spot so a negative reply is no skin off the nose at all. acheers.

I added marmalade to a Geordie kit short brewed to 2 gallons (5 nominal) along with a few spices like cinnamon and the other ones and my mate loved it and gave it a 5/5 and everyone else gave it for 4.5+++ and I never brewed it again just to spite them. So yeah , it works. And Sadfield or Michael (can't tell them apart) said Fuller's (or HSB yeast) said that yeast is very marmaladey (I'm sick a trollin the ones I love xxx, ps drunk like ya hand't guessed).

Thanks for the feedback folks, sounds like it's worth giving it a go! acheers.

Plan so far is "Marmalade Pale Ale" - 12-ish litre batch (probably a bit less due to losses).

2.2kg Maris Otter
200g Caramalt
200g Vienna
200g Dextrine

Mash at 67c for 90mins, then 60min boil with:

7g Magnum 60mins
7g Centennial 30mins
7g Cascade 15min
7g Cascade 5min

Probably dry hop for 4 days with a combination of centennial and cascade (amount depends on what I have left as the packs are open already).

Hops are based on what I have in the freezer, but if I do an order before brewing I'll definitely get a pack of Mandarina Bavaria to try, thanks @the baron, also like the idea of amarillo, thanks @matt76 for the idea. I guess either could replace Cascade as the aroma additions?

Then I'll add the Marmalade concentrate direct to the fermenter - 450g disolved in about 2l of boiling water, hopefully dilute enough to balance the additional sugar? Hope to get about 14l total in the bucket.

Aiming for an OG of 1.050ish, probably use wilko/gervin dry yeast, although I did try a Fullers culture (from a bottle of 1845) recently that could be suitable based on the comment from @Drunkula (bit scared of using that one though as it looks a bit trubby after the final step up and crash in the fridge... might have to start from scratch)

IMG_20190122_201629890.jpg

Thanks for the feedback folks, sounds like it's worth giving it a go! acheers.

Plan so far is "Marmalade Pale Ale" - 12-ish litre batch (probably a bit less due to losses).

Hops are based on what I have in the freezer, but if I do an order before brewing I'll definitely get a pack of Mandarina Bavaria to try, thanks @the baron, also like the idea of amarillo, thanks @matt76 for the idea. I guess either could replace Cascade as the aroma additions?
Well I'm still relatively new, but I don't see why Amarillo couldn't replace cascade.

My technique was to late hop - you add no hops at the start of the boil, but instead rely on more hops later on to give you the same bitterness, plus you also get the aromas. I haven't done a back to back but it worked out well for me.

I'll be very interested to see how this turns out - I have a similar idea in my head for an orange biscuit ale using Amarillo hops for the orange flavour and amber malt for the biscuit flavour.

Good luck, keep us posted athumb..

Ok I'm going to give this a go soon, and I got some Mandarina Bavaria hops to try.

Also upgraded to a Robobrew so scaled the recipe to 20l (maybe that's not wise with such an experimental brew :laugh8:)

4kg Maris Otter
300g Caramalt
300g Vienna
200g Dextrine
300g Honey (added in beersmith to account for the sugar in the Mamade concentrate below, no actual honey used)

Mash at 67c for 90mins, then 60min boil with:

25g Magnum 60mins
25g Mandarina Bavaria 5min
450g Marmade Concentrate 5min
25g Mandarina Bavaria 0min

Beersmith has this coming out about 1.059, 55IBU (not accounting for orange bitterness) and 11.4EBC

Any feedback on the recipe? The malt bill is similar to some previous brews but I'm completely winging it with the hop schedule and Marmalade addition.

I would move your 5 min hop addition to flame out. I'd also be inclined to dry hop with some more orangy hops (more MB, Amarillo, Citra) and a hefty dose of tangerine zest.

Will be interested to hear how this turns out.

I would move your 5 min hop addition to flame out. I'd also be inclined to dry hop with some more orangy hops (more MB, Amarillo, Citra) and a hefty dose of tangerine zest.

Will be interested to hear how this turns out.

Thanks, so put all 50g in at flame-out, I'd considered that but wasn't sure if having some near the end of the boil would be good for flavor.

I did also consider if some should be steeped e.g at 80c for 30mins vs just flame-out then chill?

Agree re the dry-hop, I was planning to have a sneaky taste after 10 days or so when measuring the gravity, then decide on a plan re the dry hop.

Also unsure what yeast to use - I've got various dry yeast (nottingham, cml pale/english-ale) and some Wyeast 1469 slurry, but I may order some other liquid strain, or have another go culturing up from the fullers 1845.

I'd just do flame out addition but a lower temp steep would work too - should help retain more aroma without imparting as much bitterness. Depends what you want to achieve I suppose.

I've heard the fuller's strain is noted to impart a marmalade character but between the hops and the actual marmalade concentrate you're using I'm not sure how much you would notice subtle yeast characteristics. I'd be inclined to use some neutral such as us-05 or the Nottingham you have.

Ok so I finally got around to brewing this yesterday, recipe ended up tweaked to suit what I had on-hand:

5kg Maris Otter
300g Dextrine

Mashed at 66c for an hour

60min boil with the following additions:
15g Magnum 60min
33g Mandarina Bavaria 5min
33g Cascade 5min
850g Robertsons Mamade orange rind/pulp 5min
33g Mandarina Bavaria Steep 20min @ 80c
33g Cascade Steep 20min @ 80c

Used CML "Pia" pale ale yeast, fermenting now at about 19.5c

I'll dry-hop for 3 days before packaging with another 33g of Mandaria and Cascade, and maybe some more orange zest dependent on tasting.

The sample tasted very orangey!

My most experimental brew to date, so will be interesting to see how it turns out. acheers.

Last edited:
Oh forgot to mention got 21 litres into the FV at 1.052, a few points short of the estimate from beersmith.

Sounds great @SteveH . Be sure to post back with an update once you've tasted the finished beer.

I'm hoping to brew something similar in the near future.

Latest posts

Back