Marmalade IPA?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then it's likely orange peel with certain hops that I've had with marmalade beer in the past then. Guess it's wrong to assume as it had "marmalade" in the name that it contains actual marmalade over selected ingredients to give a marmalade flavour.

And in looking, my local home brew store does orange peel. So will definitely be getting some to try with an upcoming IPA. Though as a dry ingredient has anyone got any idea on how much dry weight to add to a 36-40 (ish) pint kit?.
I had some of this last summer when visiting another area and it was very 'orange forward', if there is such a thing, certainly for me. I thought it was a really enjoyable pint and went back for few more!
https://www.wadworth.co.uk/beer-and-ales/seasonal-beers/amarillo-gold/
Anyway the blurb seems to suggest it's down to the use of Amarillo hops.

I used to be a real chilli nutter
But i dont think i would like it in my beer.!!!
I have made chilli wine .Yuk never again.

I've had a Scotch Bonnet ale which was lovely, had a great flavour with not so much heat to mention. And I've also had a bloody hot Carolina Reaper stout, also nice but the heat was strong, but guess that's the point with the Reaper.

Scotch Bonnet not so hot..!!!!!! wow i take my hat off to you.:hat:

Lol don't know how they extracted the flavour with little heat but they did. Should have asked really as I'm putting Scotch Bonnet in my next IPA. Thinking maybe 3 whole fresh chillies boiled in a pan for 10 mins with the mix in the fv & chillies in a hop sock for the entire fermentation period.

Also, Scotch Bonnets are more mild for me, tend to cook with with Nagas & Reapers with Bonnets more a salad option

So I should be making my marmalade IPA this weekend.
Can someone do a quick recipe check for me.
I'm going to be trying to use up some hops I've had open for a while, so if any hop additions seem strange that's why.
I'm also going to putting it straight onto the yeast cake of a Grapefruit IPA i'm transferring to secondary which is why no yeast is specified.

5litres (in the 1st stage I'm only going to fill the demijohn to 4litres
1KG Light Malt DME

15g EKG at 60mins
5g Lemondrop at 30mins
5g Lemondrop at 5mins
5g Lemondrop at Flameout
5g EKG at Flameout
5g Amarillo at Flameout

After 1 Week
454g Marmalade (https://www.tiptree.com/index.php/orange-tangerine-marmalade.html) Which will be boiled with about a litre of water and added.
10g Amarillo (I may boil this with the marmalade as well as add as a dry hop)
1 teaspoon Pectolase.

After 2 weeks:
10g Lemondrop
10g Amarillo

Cracked open a bottle of this on Saturday.
Not good. Very sweet, too sweet and it had a weird twang (which might have been due to a santising issue).
I changed from the above by adding the peel of a tangerine with the 2nd lot of dry hops as there wasn't the striking orange smell i was hoping for. I think this might have been a mistake too.

Back