Marmite Wine ( I said I would)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LED_ZEP

Reaction score
I said it jokingly on another thread that I'd get a Marmite wine on this weekend.
Should be "ready" for Christmas to get rid of those unwanted guests (might serve mulled as suggested by @Gerryjo ).

4 tbls Marmite
800g sugar
2l Apple juice
1/4 stick of cinnamon
3 cloves
12 black pepper corns
1 tbls coriander seeds
20ml lemon juice
dried orange peel.
Young's yeast compound

It may struggle to ferment due to the salt content in the Marmite, at best I'm expecting it to be slow.
@Chippy_Tea always swears by the Young's yeast compound so here's a good test.

IMG_20200822_185138.jpg

Last edited:
I remember, on a ship, always giving uninvited guests to my cabin parties a can of very warm beer. They did not stay long. So I will consider a marmite wine - to be ready for the scroungers at Christmas! It will be called Bar Humbug (sic). Or Victory Mildew.

On a side note, while trying to work out if this was even possible to ferment I looked up the effects of salt on yeast. I found an interesting paper mentioning Greek wine producers using yeast preconditioned with salt as a solution to stuck ferments. Apparently it also increases the alcohol tolerance of the yeast. https://doi.org/10.1002/jib.143

Isn't marmite made from dead yeast?
It is made from yeast extract so from that I assume it's not all of the dead yeast cell.

It's been topped up with another 1/2 litre of apple juice and is bubbling away nicely today.

IMG_20200823_143520.jpg

A bit new here but marmite wine sounds rather brilliant - I'd love to hear how it went and try this myself, though it also makes me wonder whether I could do a marmite sweet mead to balance the saltiness.

Anna

It may struggle to ferment due to the salt content in the Marmite, at best I'm expecting it to be slow.
@Chippy_Tea always swears by the Young's yeast compound so here's a good test.

What are those floaters on the top of the must in the DJ? They look like cashew nuts!? 🤪

Years ago when winemaking chemicals were harder to come by Marmite was often used as a yeast nutrient.

If you look at old books you will often find it listed in the recipes. I think part of the attraction was the high vit B content.

Short of using special yeast strains Young's super wine yeast compound is an excellent all rounder and has made many a fine wine.
Its main advantages are its not too fussy about temperature, and contains nutrient and clearing agents.

Well I know I like experimenting, but that's pushing the boat out!

I actually like Marmite, but as a drink? Never say never, although may have said never again once or twice :laugh8:

I bake a cheese and Marmite loaf occasionally though, so you never know what works.

This looks interesting, I love marmite. How is the brew going led zep? I fancy making a batch for Christmas

Back