Marmite Wine ( I said I would)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I've racked it. Had a little sip and if anyone is making this 1 clove would be enough. There's a Marmite taste in the background and it sits well with the orange and cinnamon. Imagine if you added a little soy source to mince pie filling and you'd be in correct area for smell and taste.
Do I like it? Too early to say but I'm not instantly thinking I'll get a 23l batch on the go.
I'll let it clear and bottle it and report back.

Well Led zep, I have had a go.... excuse the dodgy strap for the inkbird thermocouple.
IMG_20200921_190709.jpg

4 tblsp marmite
2l apple juice from concentrate
600g sugar
Half a clove
1cm cinnamon stick
12 peppercorns
15 coriander seeds
1 tsp yeast and nutrient;

Only made half a dj yesterday but already 1 bubble per second. I dissolved the sugar, marmite and other ingredients in the apple juice over a low heat and it tasted good. Cant wait to see how it turns out.

Discussion with my mate and if it isn't too good I might make a port and fortify with brandy.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of bottling mine this weekend. It looks very different to yours, it's black and looks like jagermeister.
I'm going to have a taste before bottling as I was thinking of sweetening and fortifying, sort of a Marmite liqueur?

Well Led zep, I have had a go.... excuse the dodgy strap for the inkbird thermocouple.
View attachment 32976
4 tblsp marmite
2l apple juice from concentrate
600g sugar
Half a clove
1cm cinnamon stick
12 peppercorns
15 coriander seeds
1 tsp yeast and nutrient;

Only made half a dj yesterday but already 1 bubble per second. I dissolved the sugar, marmite and other ingredients in the apple juice over a low heat and it tasted good. Cant wait to see how it turns out.

Discussion with my mate and if it isn't too good I might make a port and fortify with brandy.
It looks very different to yours, it's black and looks like jagermeister.

I’m not going anywhere near making this, just enjoying the scenery, but I was thinking the same as @LED_ZEP - why’s it red? I’d have thought marmite + Apple juice would make a murky brown colour...:confused.:

Oh no. Fermentation seems to be stuck. No activity for a few days so I pitched in a yeast/sugar/nutrient starter but still no go. SG about 1.05.

Would really appreciate any thoughts.

you started 21st Sept its now 2wks later that's 2wks plenty of time for fermentation to complete esp on a heat-pad
600g sugar in 2ltrs juice is quite a lot it may have simply just done the business.
The yeast might have simply maxed out.
what was your og.

Thanks for the reply John. OG was 1.110 so I would have thought it would be ok to carry on. Total volume in the dj is about 2.3L.
Could I re pitch with some higher alcohol yeast ?
Taste is quite good and Marmity but just very sweet.

1.110 equates to about 15-16% abv so you have done very well to get this far.

When folk normally talk about the "tricky" idea of restarting a stuck fermentation they are normally talking 8-10%abv.

Restarting fermentation at your higher alcohol levels may not be totally impossible but wont be easy.

Most yeasts peg out before 16% I can think of only a very few strains that can go higher and even then only from scratch under ideal conditions.

If you want DRY fully fermented high alcohol wines I advise you learn the technique of sugar feeding.!!!!!
Thats the way to go.

I have written some info on the technique on this site but there is plenty more on line.

I myself have fermented bone dry to 18-20% by sugar feeding.
Using ec-1118 champagne yeast (published tol 18%.)
It also helps to use invert sugar as well,Again there is plenty info on how to make it online.

Latest posts

Back