Marmite

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never bought a jar, but like tiger bread and used to like twiglets back in the day. It made me wonder why marmite gained the reputation of the ulimate 'love/hate' food, I think olives are a better example of that title, personally I'm a 'hater' of them.

It makes me think of a “Bovril”at Celtic Park from 1986-1990
I hate Marmite.
Maybe because we used to get beat a lot. ( except the Centenary year 88, won the double)

I have Bovril in my flask in winter but hate Marmite.
We have an equivalent, Bovril got banned from Australia through the mad cow saga. Its called Bonox I was working with some Swiss guys who had taken a liking to Bonox, we were commissioning some machinery and was working late on cold winter nights. They asked me if I would like some Bonox I accepted and was given a mug of Bonox complete with added milk!
1592210784791.png

Oh dear, I'm in the minority ....Love Marmite (even if the spell checker doesn't!) :) They used to say it was a brewing by product ...... myth perhaps?

I think I just have, albeit by mistake. I made an oatmeal stout a couple of weeks ago and bottled it tonight. On drinking the contents of the FG sample jar, what I have is definitely liquid marmite.

I'm not complaining, exactly: I love marmite. But here I would have preferred beer.

That's the classic taste of autolysis, literally "self-splitting", it's the corpses of dead yeast decomposing from attack by their own enzymes. Usually because either the yeast has been stressed too much during fermentation or because the beer has been left on the yeast too long.

Big fan of Marmite - it's meant to have double the glutamates (and hence umami) of just about anything else (even soy sauce or beef stock), I often use it as a stockcube replacement. Handy when you're cooking for vegetarians as it's vegan but gives a good meaty taste.

Also Marmite cashew nuts are a winner, although I struggle with most of the other branded products, the crisps aren't half as good as Twiglets and I can see why Marmite cheddar never took off...

I've just returned from Aldi, where I found they have started selling their own brand yeast extract at around £1 cheaper than Marmite, I haven't tried it yet, but in the past I've found other own brand yeast extract such as Sainsbury's to be fine.

Mark

Latest posts

Back