Marrow / Courgette Rum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelTheObnoxious

Reaction score
I got given an oversized courgette a little earlier today... The only thing that can to mind was alcohol, after all, why eat that what you can drink!

Ridiculously easy to put together:
Hollow out the marrow / courgette, fill that bad boy with sugar (I'm going to use both brown and white... Its all I have floating about)

After a day or two in a warm place, pierce a hole in the bottom with a toothpick / long thin thing, balance upright into a jar / DJ and leave it! I left mine in a funnel, wrapped in a muslin, to try and filter some of the scum out where possible.

IMG_20130820_193902.jpg

Hope you have better luck than me....Over the years I've tried 3 or 4 times.....never has worked...it usually goes rotten

Good luck though

I've heard of this before and erm...

...well it just seems a bit...

...lambic?

...random?

...rank?

RobWalker said:
something of a home brewing legend too, particularly the watermelon one...hope it goes well for you :lol:

I had a watermelon that I just didn't get round to eating... :sick:

RobWalker said:
something of a home brewing legend too, particularly the watermelon one...hope it goes well for you :lol:

How does this work? Is it just a case of halving it and pouring a load of sugar on top or do you puncture a whole and fill with sugar?

I didn't realise you could do this!

Sorry if I have it completely wrong, please correct me.

Cut the top off, scoop out the seeds and fill it with sugar... After a month or so, add water and ferment the brown too that leaks out... Leave it to ferment out and settle for a year or so... Done

I wonder - does it taste anything like rum? (we have a couple of huge courgettes and might try ourselves)

Thanks for showing the picture.

Seen this on a few gardening forums, general consensus is that it's pretty naff and the thing often goes mouldy but considering I really dislike courgette and marrow this doesn't look like a particularly bad use :lol:

Latest posts

Back