Marrsy's Brewery Recipes [Updated 18/11/13]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marrsy86

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As part of my online back up of recipes I have decided to add a little "How to" guide to them and share them here for anyone who wants to have a bash.

All recipes have been tryed by myself and the steps are set out how I made the brew, i'm not saying its the right, wrong or only way but it is a way that works and I will do my best to give credit where due :thumb:

Please forgive any spelling mistakes in the documents and report them along with any errors and I will do my best to fix them. That said if anyone has any questions about things I have uploaded then feel free to ask and I will do my best to help you. Feedback is always welcome but try and make it constructive :D

All recipes are in PDF format so you will some PDF software on your computer such as Acrobat Reader.

Cider
Cranberry Ribena Cider
Ribena Cider Method 1
Ribena Cider Method 2
Turbo Cider
Vimto Cider

Wine
Ribena Wine Method 2
Vimto Wine

Mead
Spicy Ginger Mead
Spicy Orange Mead
Turbo Mead

Other Brews
Fiery Ginger Beer
Ginger Beer
Turbo Ginger Beer

How To's
How to make a cheap Airlock
How to convert a water bottle into a Fermenting Container

First of all thank you for doing this as they will be really helpful to me :thumb:

but Just a question.

You say when first fermentation is complete to rack it off into another vessel (putting a campden tablet in there, will it still secondly ferment doing this) and leave to mature, is this better than bottling then leaving to mature? This may be a silly question but I've gota ask

simonkidder said:
First of all thank you for doing this as they will be really helpful to me :thumb:

but Just a question.

You say when first fermentation is complete to rack it off into another vessel (putting a campden tablet in there, will it still secondly ferment doing this) and leave to mature, is this better than bottling then leaving to mature? This may be a silly question but I've gota ask

The only silly question is a question not asked mate, and in this case you have made a good point. When I make these im stuck in the mind set of how I make my brews and I dont tend to carbinate my Ciders. I will adjust it and add a note saying not to add Campden Tablets if your planning on carbinating :thumb:

Cheers for pointing that out so quickly :)

Marrsy

I believe in maturing cider and beer in bottles. whilst wine could do with a extra week in the DJ and then mature in the bottle. (Personally)

Great job marrsy :thumb: , how long did this take you?! some handsome recipes there! if i had the money i'd make them all!.

Cheers

simonkidder said:
Sorry it must seam like I'm picking. Im quite new so I don't know a great deal. What's your opinion on the maturing in the bottle or in a DJ

Once fermentation is complete I rack into a DJ and try to leave it to age a for at least the minimum time suggested in the guides. I then put it into a bottle to drink and anything that isnt drank streight away is left to age longer in its bottle until it ends up drank :cheers:

Peapodmaster said:
Great job marrsy :thumb: , how long did this take you?! some handsome recipes there! if i had the money i'd make them all!.

The first one took me around 45 mins mins to set the template out and get the general instructions down and because alot of it is just copy/paste/editing little bits the rest took me between 15 and 20 mins each I guess. I tend to do it when im on the train on weekend (2-3 hours each way!) or in works time when there isnt much on :thumb:

Added the Fiery Ginger Beer PDF and the Spicy Ginger Mead PFD. All the Cider PDFs should now have changed to add advice as to not add the Campden Tablet if the brew is to be carbinated.

Hi Marrsy,

You may recall our discussion last week re me starting my two vimto efforts (Pineapple and Tropical juice).

They have been bubbling away merrily and seem to be doing great. :thumb: I have however just read your recipe (Great for us newbies!) and it includes tea. I understand this is a "tannin". My question is, what exactly does this do and will it affect the final outcome of my brews!? :wha:

Davey H said:
Hi Marrsy,

You may recall our discussion last week re me starting my two vimto efforts (Pineapple and Tropical juice).

They have been bubbling away merrily and seem to be doing great. :thumb: I have however just read your recipe (Great for us newbies!) and it includes tea. I understand this is a "tannin". My question is, what exactly does this do and will it affect the final outcome of my brews!? :wha:

I remember you :thumb:

Glad to hear the brews are going well. Tanning improved the zest or bite of wines. It has been described as a way to improve the over all mouth feel and making a wine feel supple and zestful.

The first wines I made didn't have any in and they turned out fine, it's just a little something extra :D

Cheers

Marrsy

I have added some tannin to my latest wines (still clearing) i'm looking forward to trying to spot the difference.

Wow, will be trying some of these. Especially the ginger beer, it sounds great! What are the plastic labels that you have on your DJs in the pictures? They look handy :)

WelshJohn said:
Wow, will be trying some of these. Especially the ginger beer, it sounds great! What are the plastic labels that you have on your DJs in the pictures? They look handy :)

I made them, cost around £2 for one of them A4 plastic wallets from staples. I just cut them into a hook shape got about 40 from the one folder.

They look like these.

Peapodmaster said:
Thinking about making my own little recipe page.. but i haven't done much yet haha!

In theory this can help with forum traffic alot, if the thread is linked to someone new to brewing for a question they raise about TC for example then it could eliminate the need for them to post about the other listed brews.

Peapodmaster said:
True, True, i have got my own recipes to do as well... oh well haha, yeahh i'll think about it :)

Been theory crafting a brew of my own that I came up with for a few weeks now. Haven't seen in mentioned on here anywhere either so think I will give it a bash later on today and see how it goes :thumb:

Also have a few guide recipes for other "Turbo" brews that I want to have a bash at and get them up on to share if they turn out well :cheers:

Cheers

Marrsy

Smok3y said:
The TC link doesn't work, file not found.

Cheers for the heads up mate, should be fine now :thumb:

03/10/11 edit -
Amalgamated the Vimpto and Ribena flavour variants into one PDF with a note saying all variants will work.
Corrected measurments for yeast measurements and such from Table Spoon to Tea Spoon.
Added Ribena Cider Method 2 and Ribena Wine Method 2.

I'm making the fiery ginger beer, should I add lager yeast or wine yeast? I have both :) and i just had a hilarious accident with the blender. I went to shake the contents because the blender was jammed but I didn't hold the top :lol: Everything is on the floor haha, good job I have spares

WelshJohn said:
I'm making the fiery ginger beer, should I add lager yeast or wine yeast? I have both :) and i just had a hilarious accident with the blender. I went to shake the contents because the blender was jammed but I didn't hold the top :lol: Everything is on the floor haha, good job I have spares

I used Wine Yeast and it turned out fine, never tried it with Lager Yeast but you can always experiment :)

I have made that mistake with the blender many times lol.

Latest posts

Back