marshbrewers brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knocked up a batch of Lovibond XB yesterday, using Chevallier and Plumage Archer malts.

IMG_20221009_123815.jpg

The HøG-NORSK yeast has gone bananas again and is making a bid for freedom or if the airlock. Definitely didn't mess up the water volumes this time, so this is escaping from a 20L batch in a near 30L FV. What's interesting is that I've never had this before on lighter ales when I've used this yeast at warmer temperatures (21°+) or when co-pitched with House (s-33). But both times it's gone bananas it has been pitched on its own and fermented at 18°. It could just be coincidence as a sample size of 2 isn't very conclusive, but it's fascinating all the same.

Hey MB, can you tell me how these last two beers worked out with the Hog Norsk yeast? Especially the pale bitter. Thanks.

The 1920s Boddingtons clone was fantastic. That was HøG-NORSK + House. The Lovibond was also good, but I think I used the wrong hops by mistake. That used the same yeast mix. Both took a while to clear, but they did drop absolutely bright as a button. I will definitely use that yeast combo again in the Boddingtons.

Boddingtons
20221222_203805.jpg

Lovibond
20230318_185921.jpg

Beautiful looking beer, thank you. I didn't realise you used a blend with House. I've done a few Bodds brews with blend using S-33, London, Notty and others. I'm thinking about getting some K-97 in, or Høg Norsk maybe. Never used either.

My brewing dream is to find a dry yeast combo that works for me as a house yeast. I don't care if its 3 packets or something and works out the same cost as a liquid yeast, the reason I use dry is because I brew sporadically and often without a chance to plan so making a starter just isn't possible sometimes.

The 1920s Boddingtons clone was fantastic. That was HøG-NORSK + House. The Lovibond was also good, but I think I used the wrong hops by mistake. That used the same yeast mix. Both took a while to clear, but they did drop absolutely bright as a button. I will definitely use that yeast combo again in the Boddingtons.

Boddingtons
View attachment 83485

Lovibond
View attachment 83484
Wow that's pin-bright: I take my hat off to you

My brewing dream is to find a dry yeast combo that works for me as a house yeast. I don't care if its 3 packets or something and works out the same cost as a liquid yeast, the reason I use dry is because I brew sporadically and often without a chance to plan so making a starter just isn't possible sometimes.
^^^ this!!!

Golden Ale today, floor malted maris otter + crisp Vienna (aka mild malt) plus a small amount of light crystal. Challenger at 60min, EKG at 15min and Opus hop stand. Was aiming for a British Golden Ale. 1044, pitched CML Atlantic set to ferment at 20°c.

20230408_164641.jpg

Thought I'd give Ron Pattinsons 1962 Barklay Perkins Sparkling Beer another go. I've done it before with CML Klosch yeast and it came out OK, but I used dark crystal by mistake last time so thought I'd give it a spin with medium. Here is the grist. Can you spot the obvious mistake?

20230414_142640.jpg

A work call came in while I was weighing out the ingredients, and I must have grabbed the wrong bag as that's Caramalt in there, not medium crystal. So it's come out way to light, but I've pressed on anyway. Now in the fermenting fridge at 13°c, with two packs of CML Kolsch yeast as I'm fermenting it lower than its advertised range. I've done great beers with it at this temp before.

Time will tell.

Brewing a traditional British pale ale today. Spent a bit of time looking at the false bottom fitment and seal. The mash tun isn't perfectly round, so a bit of jiggling and snipping and it fits much better around the edge. The improvement in wort clarity is impressive - I usually have to manually recirculate 2-3 litres but the wort was lovely and clear after less than a litre.

20230418_114316.jpg

Batch sparge was even clearer. Job well done, even though I do say so myself.

This is what I'm brewing, didn't hit my target pre-boild gravity, but I always take that with a pinch of salt as you are so far out of the hydrometers calibrated temp. However, I am using 50% Chevalier malt and only mashed for 60 mins - I have found I need to mash for 90 mins with this on my set up.

Brewsheet:

Recreation early 20C British Pale Ale

5.1%
62% efficiency
Batch Volume: 20 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Mash Water: 15.54 L

Vitals​

Original Gravity: 1.049
Final Gravity (Adv): 1.010
IBU (Tinseth): 39
BU/GU: 0.79
Colour: 19.1 EBC

Mash​

Temperature — 66 °C60 min

Malts (5.18 kg)

2.5 kg (48.3%) — Crisp Chevallier Pale Ale — Grain — 7.9 EBC
2.5 kg (48.3%) — Crisp Vienna / Mild Malt — Grain — 7.8 EBC
180 g (3.5%) — Crisp Medium Crystal 240 — Grain — 265 EBC

Hops (100 g)

25 g (21 IBU) — Brewer's Gold 7.5% — Boil — 60 min
25 g
(12 IBU) — Brewer's Gold 7.5% — Boil — 15 min
50 g
(6 IBU) — Brewer's Gold 7.5% — Aroma — 30 min hopstand

Hopstand at 77 °C

Yeast​

1 pkg — Lallemand (LalBrew) Verdant IPA 77%

Fermentation​

Primary — 18 °C14 days

I hit 1.045 rather than 1.048. Note to self, must mash longer with Chevalier.

Tastes great. Now we will see what the CML Clipper yeast will do. I put Lallemand (LalBrew) Verdant IPA I to Brewfather as I understand its the closest.

Back