Marston's and Carlsberg UK forming a Joint Venture

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Announced on the stock market this afternoon....

Tomasz Blawat, Managing Director of Carlsberg UK, said:

"We are excited to move into the next phase of our growth strategy. After a successful relaunch of Carlsberg Danish Pilsner in the UK last year, we are now building a new beer company by combining two organisations with shared values and strong history and heritage in brewing.

"Our intent for the Carlsberg Marston's Brewing Company is for it to become a platform for growth for all of our customers and suppliers, offering a bigger beer portfolio of complementary international, national and regional brands. We believe the new business will deliver even more value for employees, customers and consumers, thereby creating greater future growth potential."

I used to like some Marstons beers, also Wychwood before they got hold of them. Now being driven to minimise costs and maximise profits.

**** beer, **** pubs, **** food (microwaved).

I'm sure this will further accelerate this.

Nail in the coffin for all those brands that Marstons snapped up. There'll be some corporate realignment and no doubt some brands will be gone from the portfolio.

If the announcement is to be believed it's a JV which is different from a take over or a full merger. That means the two companies are still independent but share common interests through a formal agreement, probably to target some economies of operation. There will be a board that run the JV made up of representatives from both companies. Marstons should still have its shares on the stock market, as well as its own board. However whether that means restructuring for Marstons who are to some extent the minor partner and who own several breweries up and down the UK remains to be seen. Carlsberg Pedigree anyone?

I’m from Burton on Trent so a shame to see Marstons selling out to Carlsberg , massive amount of heritage & history hopefully that won’t be lost after the merge

This kind of thing happens with all corporations in any area. The only thing that really stops them eventually is anti-competition legistation. I remember when pfizer was trying to buy astrazeneca but were told to **** off. For me it's just like a life cycle.

I used to like some Marstons beers, also Wychwood before they got hold of them. Now being driven to minimise costs and maximise profits.

**** beer, **** pubs, **** food (microwaved).

I'm sure this will further accelerate this.
Our daughter has a Marstons pub, I think she could have done better, she is experienced in the industry but new to the chain. She seems to have been completely deserted during the lockdown, just a premises security guard I suspect.
We'll see what comes out in the wash, but I suspect no job at the end of this lot.
I quite like the Pedigree though.
Cheers,
Terry

We had a Marstons pub, they never wanted the old pubs that made them the money wanted new pubs that sell their **** food, the one up was always empty pre lockdown, we took our pub from turning over £850 pw week to 4k record and averaged 2 to 3k a week and now its an accountants they dont deserve the loyal Publicans they have/had

Never a great fan of Marstons except for their Old Empire, but loads of people loved Pedigree- guess it's a matter of taste. Nevertheless, you don't have to like them to recognise they're an old traditional brewery brewing classic English beers whose heritage will be lost when Carlsberg get hold of it. Carlsberg have even sold out their own heritage, it would appear. It's this sort of thing the Brexit gammon should be fighting and campaigning against, but I suspect it'll be another bit of England down the tubes without demure.

To reiterate it is a JV, not a take over or a merger. Marstons and Carlsberg UK are still independent companies. Marstons statement to the stock market is here.
https://www.marstons.co.uk/docs/jv/...s_JV_Partnership_with_Carlsberg_UK_220520.pdfHowever skimming through the document it appears to me that Marstons are sort of mortgaging their company to reduce their company debt, since although their business is worth significantly more on paper than the Carslberg chunk their JV holding is only 40% compared to Carsberg UK 60%, and this is because they are to receive £273M in lieu of this disparity. And that is likely to mean that Carslberg have the controlling rights on the JV board.
So what this means long term for the Marstons mini empire which covers Marstons, Banks, Jennings, Wychwood, Ringwood, Brakspear, Youngs, Wainwrights, McEwans, Mansfield and Charles Wells remains to be seen

Latest posts

Back