Marstons Homebrew Competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Came up on Facebook, looks interesting. They judge the recipe before allowing you to enter. Kind of an odd way to do it but I guess it means they don't go through a ton of "bad" beers. Also, seeing as the aim is to brew it on their kit, make sure it can be brewed cost effectively.

https://www.marstonsbrewery.co.uk/homebrewchallenge/

Looks interesting, though I'm guessing something like my 11% brett aged quad might not their cup of tea. I reckon maybe a fairly traditional style with some new and interesting hops might be the sort of thing they're after.

Hmm, wrong time of year for the elderflowers I'd need for my favourite from recent times. Mind you, no harm in trying.
On the other hand, maybe we are providing them with a library of new recipes...

I chucked a brown ale recipe in with El Dorado and Motueka hops. I haven't brewed it yet but hopefully it will taste as good as I think it sounds.

I'm wondering if a kveik ale would get through. I'm guessing the strain would have to be a lab isolate, would they want to ferment at such warm temperatures?

I'd agree they probably don't want something too different from what they're already making, but some sort of new flavour profile which can fit into their existing line.

Just seen that the prize is a voucher for Ballyhoo home brew. Hadn't heard of them before. They claim to be the biggest in the UK, but their range doesn't seem to be in the same league as the usual names that crop up on this forum. Does anyone use them, as a matter of interest?

Just seen that the prize is a voucher for Ballyhoo home brew. Hadn't heard of them before. They claim to be the biggest in the UK, but their range doesn't seem to be in the same league as the usual names that crop up on this forum. Does anyone use them, as a matter of interest?

I have seen them selling stuff on Amazon previously.

I have seen them selling stuff on Amazon previously.
I've bought one or two bits from them, possibly via Amazon. Prices were OK and delivery was prompt.

Back