Martin's Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This was first out of tap, the majority of the wort was clearer

Attachments

• 20180906_232831.jpg
    20180906_232831.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 85
I've been neglecting this a bit..so time for an update.

I got the Geterbrewed AG kit based on the Wild Weather Tornado Top Hat Chocolate and Banana Hefeweissen:

EBC:8.2
OG1054 FG 1022
ABV 4.2% IBU 8

2600 Pale Malt
780 Wheat Malt Light
400 Oat Malt
210 Vienna
100 Dextrine
325g Banana Pulp (added to mash before sparge)

Mash 66C for 60 minutes

60 minute boil:
520g Lactose 60 mins
20g Bramling Cross o minutes
1kg Banana pulp and peel 0 minutes

MJ Barvarian Wheat M20 pitch at 24C allow to free rise
Prime with chocolate syrup 3.6g/l by sugar content.

I got this one 10/11 - felt very weird putting all the fruit in!

Aimed for 20l @1054 - got 19l at 1054 so that was OK. It went off like a rocket, and 8 days on has been stable for 3 days at 1022, so now I am cold crashing.

One of the things that excited me about this recipe was the idea of priming with chocolate, and the impact that has on flavour. A lot of people go for adding nibs in the FV.

Plan to bottle mid week.

Cheers

Martin

The chocolate syrup recipe I plan to use is:
INGREDIENTS:

· 1 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
· 1 cup granulated sugar
· 1 cup cold water
· 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
·

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cocoa powder and sugar until blended. Add the water and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and whisk over medium heat until boiling, stirring constantly.
2. Continue boiling until mixture thickens, about 3 – 4 minutes. The mixture will still be fairly thin (it thickens to a syrup-like consistency once cool). Taste and stir in additional salt until dissolved, up to 1/4 teaspoon, if desired.
3. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Cool.
4. Store syrup in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator. The syrup should keep, refrigerated, for at least a month.

Question: I'm not sure about the salt? Should I leave it out? Will it inhibit the yeast? Is it needed as a preservative?

Thanks

Martin

Brew day!

Based on Greg Hughes honey porter:

Mo 3kg
Light crystal 500g
Vienna 400g
Cafafa special iii 200g
Choc malt 100g

1hr at 65C

23G FUGGLES 60 MIN
15g challenger 10 mins
16g wakutu flmeout

Protofloc last 10 mins
500g honey last 10 mins boil

Us04

I had most of the ingredients in the cupboard. Subbed out Vienna for Munich couldn't easily get wakutu so subbed for Nelson sauvin. All hops from CML, so in tea bags, which is nice.

Prepped up last night, chloride forward water. Hot on at 6.30. Walked the dog. Mash on 7.15

Cheers
Martin

Subbed out Vienna for Munich couldn't easily get wakutu so subbed for Nelson sauvin. .........

That's beginning to sound like my Mum's "Duck a l'Orange"!

It was promised for when we arrived having driven down from Scotland and we walked in with mouths already watering at the thought! Unfortunately, my Mum had no duck in the freezer and decided to use chicken, before discovering that she didn't have and oranges either!

I earned her immediate displeasure by pointing out that we were eating "Lemon Chicken"; and it was only then that she bothered to explain why there was no "Duck a l'Orange" on the table.

I presume that (just like my Mum's recipe) it will taste fine in the end!

Martin - we will be coming to Norwich in 10 days - can you nominate 2 pubs reasonably central for tip top real ale please ?

No problem, the fat cat tap keeps on winning camra pub of the year, the plasterer's arms is fab, the kings head (Magdalene street) is great. These three are found on single radius going out from town(kings head, then plasterer's then fat cat tap).

If you find yourself on the south side of the city, the original fat cat, the Alexandra and maybe the beehive.

Cheers martin

we are south of the town centre - anything that way ? The Trafford Arms is close to our B&B in Saint Stephens Road seems fairly good ?

Martin - beer sorted now food - trafford arms and donnellis pizzaria seem ok I need one more place - we like pizzzas and pub grub and fish and chips...........

Latest posts

Back