Martin's Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upped temp to 20C. Dropped to 1014. Tasting lovely.
20181203_201450.jpg

Not been too active on this thread, but have been trialing a recipe for our NOrwich AMateur Brewers Beer Festival ( check out the meets thread for details).

This is my third development of the recipe, refining each time.

Because it is for the festival, I went all out for clarity - I went for a longer length, but only put the very clearest of wort into the fermenter, throwing out much more from the boiler than is usually my plan.

Got 23Lt in the fermenter at 1044. COuld have got north of 25L, but there we go.

Cheers

Martin

Attachments

• exiles pale ale - 3 - Beer Recipe - Brewer's Friend.pdf
    150 KB · Views: 101
Just to add, I used FM11 Heathery Hights yeast from Malt Miller as they were out of West Yorkshire 1469. Made my very first starter in my new shiny borosilicate glass flask...

Anyone here used the FM yeasts yet?

Cheers

Martin

Bloody hell! Not keeping upto date here...

Since the last post I've done a couple of wheat beers - Belgium and American (prefer the American one with Citra).

Managed to squeeze in a brew day today - my Christmas beer. I know. Too soon.

I've had a go at James Morton's Mad Boris Imperial Stout. I'll post the recipe later on from my phone, but there were challenges in brewing such a big beer:

1. 9kg grain bill meant that my cool box mash tun was full, and that my mash was very thick. This meant...
2. The sparge was long and messy.
3. Efficiency may have been reduced - 3rd runnings at 1056!!
4. The kitchen was a war zone by the time I was done

I ended up with a good clean 21lt of wort at 1083. Could have squeezed 4 more litres out of the boiler, but the run off was getting a bit muddy.

I pitched with Voss Kveik at 32C. 5 hours later it is off like the clappers. 32C is as hot as my fridge can hold.

I did sub out the chocolate malt for carafa sp1 (which I had in). The wort was a yummy rich chocolaty delight.

I expect to bottle this next Saturday!!

Cheers

Martin

Managed to squeeze in a brew day today - my Christmas beer. I know. Too soon.

I pitched with Voss Kveik at 32C. 5 hours later it is off like the clappers. 32C is as hot as my fridge can hold.

WOW! (2nd first) I have never pitched a yeast at such a high temperature no matter what the manufacturer says with regard to the tolerances!

I have deep and abiding memories of photographs where a fermenting yeast has decided to leave the fermenter and do as much damage as it can; and boy can they make a mess when they want to!

To minimise this, I usually start off the fermentation at the lower end of the yeast's tolerance range (usually about 19*C) and then increase the temperature when I see that it is behaving itself.

With regard to the Christmas beer, then July is the perfect time to start one. It's usually a relatively high ABV brew (i.e. over 5%) so A) It will almost certainly not go "Off". and B) It will need time to clear, condition and mature properly.

By the time Christmas arrives, you will be looking forward to the brew and (with a modicum of skill and a load of luck) it will be perfect.

Enjoy!

Thanks @Dutto

24 hours from 1083 - 1028.
24-48 hours 1028 - 1020

..I think it is nearly done!!

It fermented so fast that the whole house smells of beer (CO2 carrying the aroma of choc beer everywhere). My lovely wife is not impressed!!

Probably cold crash after 4 days. I reckon I will be bottling this Saturday at the latest

Cheers

Martin

Hmmm!

A brew with a high OG will probably take a lot longer to ferment out.

I may be too late with my advice, but personally I wouldn't bottle the brew until it had been fermenting for at least 14 days.

The Kveik beer is a 3-4 day ferment beer, yeast is super aggressive. on the 3rd day the beer would be ready in the morning but change flavor profile throughout the day...crazy! Traditionally brewed on farms, great for short term parties.

@MartinHaworth - never thought about making a choco kveik, but then again I'm not a big kveik fan.

@Voltaire why don't you like kveik? Really interested!

This is my second brew with it, the last one (American wheat) I went from grain to glass in 7 days, it felt really exciting turning a beer around that fast.

Cheers

Martin

Ok @Dutto. you may be right.

I've brought it down to 20C today (still steady for two days at 1020 - the recipe suggested this as a final gravity).

How about...I bottle half of it.

Then

Thinking about the club's next beer of the quarter (fruit), I add some frozen/defrosted medium chillis - even chipotle - to the FV...leave it for another week....and then get a chilli RIS.

Or is that REALLY stupid.

Martin

Chipotle would be ace...I love a subtle bit of smokiness in a dark beer.

I'm fascinated by this kveik trend. With 2 young kids & time at a premium, it sounds amazing to turn almost any beer around in a week!

I've brewed with a few Birdseye Chillies in the FV and that turned out just fine.

However, wading through 40 x 500ml of Chilli Beer was a bit too much so I made a tincture of chillies by sticking a wide variety of them in a bottle of vodka and introduce a tiny amount (2ml via a syringe) of it when I feel like a "Chilli Beer".

I also let visitors who ask "What's that?" taste the Chilli Vodka neat. Cruel? "Yes of course!"

I now use Growlers or PB's with pressure relief, but I would never fill them from the FV with a brew at an SG of 1.020!

Ok, bottled the ris at 1018, been in the bottle 3 weeks now. Will take to beer club on Monday to get critiqued.

Brew day today! Recipe attached. Based o James Morton quaffable bitter, but with grain bill tweaked ( some carapils that I had in). Carapils aNd wheat to give the feel of bigger beer, even though it's under 4%.

Brew day went fine apart from bloody leaf hops! I like nice clean wort in the FV, I reckon I wasted for to five litres on what I had hoped to get. Grrr!

Using notty as that's what was in the fridge.

Piccy of the lovely wort below.

Cheers Martin

Attachments

• 20190815_114513.jpg
    20190815_114513.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 123

Latest posts

Back