Mash/sparge volumes (preferably for Brewdevil/Brewmonk/Klarstein/Hopcat)

Discussion in 'Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water' started by MickDundee, Jan 11, 2020.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jan 14, 2020 #21

Loco_ola

Loco_ola

Loco_ola

The issue I've found with my system and calculating water amounts is that technically the mash tun addition is variable depending on how much grain you have in there.

This is because the inner filter section has both the gap underneath (which is fixed)- and at the sides (the height of which will be determined by the volume of grain in the filter). So I figure you actually need to know the volume of grain to work out the real amounts.

Obviously it's just a bit of basic maths (enter π) to work out the volume of grain that will not be sitting in water.

I could be wrong of course, and I also figure it's probably not too critical as long as you are over the volume of grain.

2. Jan 14, 2020 #22

SteveH

SteveH

SteveH

Regular.

Similar to previous responses I use 20l to mash in and about 10l to sparge with on my Robobrew 3.1, might use slightly more at mash in for a big grain bill, or slightly less for a small one, but 20l is in the right ballpark (I've tried less and had issues with a stuck mash)

Re blocking the pump, I have had issues with that, using both pellet and leaf hops - using a large mash bag does help, but it's a pain when chilling as it gets in the way.

I saw that @matt76 has been using the grain basket as a large hop spider which seems like a good idea particularly since it doesn't involve buying any new kit - IIRC @David Heath heath also has a couple of videos about doing similar with a grainfather which may be worth checking out.

I'm planning to give this a go next brew as I've blocked the pump every time over the last few brews and it's getting a bit annoying (it's probably my fault as I bought a whirlpool arm and the pump has blocked every single time since :laugh8:aheadbutt)

3. Jan 14, 2020 #23

foxy

foxy

foxy

Landlord.

Every user of the single vessel breweries has their own idea of the ratio of grain to liquor, personally I prefer a very fluid mash 32 to 34 litres depending on the grain bill. Don't get a stuck mash and don't have to sparge. The best way to check out the performance of the hop spider for yourself is to do two consecutive brews using the same recipe, and make it an AIPA so there are plenty of hops involved.
    This is what I did and have my own view of hop spiders. I now have a hop spider for sale only used once.
    The whirlpool arm is a waste of space, cool with the immersion chiller and let everything settle out even if it takes an hour, draw off clear wort into the fermenter, even if you have to use a syphon.

4. Jan 14, 2020 #24

SteveH

SteveH

SteveH

Regular.

> The whirlpool arm is a waste of space, cool with the immersion chiller and let everything settle out even if it takes an hour

The main reason I'd like to use it is previous experiments whirlpooling against the flow of the immersion chiller seemed to result in much quicker cooling - as you say I don't think it did much for wort clarity.

5. Jan 14, 2020 #25

matt76

matt76

matt76

Landlord. Supporting Member

Just to clarify, I use the grain basket as a hop spider for leaf hops only. I think it would be like trying to stop a mosquito with a goal net if you were using pellets!

With pellets I just leave it a few hours after chilling to let the crud settle out, similar to what @foxy suggests ( I do this in all cases anyway actually to let all the trub settle out)

Draft saved Draft deleted