The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darlacat

Reaction score
Title says it all: what mash thickness is ideal for a hefeweizen? I used 3L/kg for a witbier recently, and it was difficult when it came to heating the mash to reach steps, and spargin to an extent due to the mash thickness. I have read examples of a mash thickness of 4L/kg (e.g. braukaiser) for weissbiers, but am worried that this thin a mash might reduce efficiency.

Any advice is most welcome!

A thick mash will reduce your efficiency much more.

I find it weird that you find 3L/kg difficult to handle. I would think that your total amount makes it much more difficult than the mash thickness. How much are you brewing?

It depends if you're doing steps by adding liquor or by decoction. If you're stepping up by adding hot liquor you'll obviously want to start with a thick mash and thin it out over the steps. For decoction you need plenty liquid in the mash to take a decoction. I've read somewhere that a thinner mash (5L/kg) is more the Germanic way.

If you're stepping up by direct heating, then the choice is yours!

A thick mash will reduce your efficiency much more.

I find it weird that you find 3L/kg difficult to handle. I would think that your total amount makes it much more difficult than the mash thickness. How much are you brewing?

I thought the general consensus was for a thicker mash (e.g. 2.5L/kg) as it's more beneficial for the enzymes and hitting target gravity?

I'm brewing 23L batches. 3L/kg was only a real issue on my last brew, a witbier, so am wondering if I need to thin the mash for a hefeweizen.

It depends if you're doing steps by adding liquor or by decoction. If you're stepping up by adding hot liquor you'll obviously want to start with a thick mash and thin it out over the steps. For decoction you need plenty liquid in the mash to take a decoction. I've read somewhere that a thinner mash (5L/kg) is more the Germanic way.

If you're stepping up by direct heating, then the choice is yours!

I'm direct heating - what water to grain ratio would you recommend?

I use direct heating and have good success with 3.5 litres / kg for hefeweizen. That's for the mash obviously, before adding sparge water.

I have a Klarstein Brauheld system and find I return much better efficiency stirring the mash at regular intervals.

I use direct heating and have good success with 3.5 litres / kg for hefeweizen. That's for the mash obviously, before adding sparge water.

I have a Klarstein Brauheld system and find I return much better efficiency stirring the mash at regular intervals.
@darlacat Phillc is talking good advice. Stick with it.

Thanks - I think I'll give 3.5/kg a go for my hefeweizen next week. I'm also planning on mashing in at 40c, raising to 50c for 15mins, then 62c for 30mins and 70c for 30 mins.

I like to add the wheat first separately, let it have a ferulic rest for 10 minutes (promotes clove like aromas). Then raise the temperature a bit for another 10 minutes to add stability and proteins, although this can be bad for foaming behaviour (This why I only add the barley and adjuncts after this rest and at a higher temp).

There's some info on this page about ferulic rests and potential mash profiles.

I like to add the wheat first separately, let it have a ferulic rest for 10 minutes (promotes clove like aromas). Then raise the temperature a bit for another 10 minutes to add stability and proteins, although this can be bad for foaming behaviour (This why I only add the barley and adjuncts after this rest and at a higher temp).

There's some info on this page about ferulic rests and potential mash profiles.

Thanks - that article is very helpful. Do you use all of your mash water when adding the wheat only for the ferulic acid rest?

Well, I did this at the weekend - 3.5L/kg - and my efficiency went up 5%! No problems with the mash and the amount of wheat, either.

Title says it all: what mash thickness is ideal for a hefeweizen? I used 3L/kg for a witbier recently, and it was difficult when it came to heating the mash to reach steps, and spargin to an extent due to the mash thickness. I have read examples of a mash thickness of 4L/kg (e.g. braukaiser) for weissbiers, but am worried that this thin a mash might reduce efficiency.

Any advice is most welcome!
This is what Palmer has to say on the matter:
"The grist/water ratio is another factor influencing the performance of the mash. A thinner mash of >2 quarts of water per pound of grain dilutes the relative concentration of the enzymes, slowing the conversion, but ultimately leads to a more fermentable mash because the enzymes are not inhibited by a high concentration of sugars. A stiff mash of <1.25 quarts of water per pound is better for protein breakdown, and results in a faster overall starch conversion, but the resultant sugars are less fermentable and will result in a sweeter, maltier beer. A thicker mash is more gentle to the enzymes because of the lower heat capacity of grain compared to water. A thick mash is better for multirest mashes because the enzymes are not denatured as quickly by a rise in temperature."
And no doubt he's right, but do you want high protein breakdown in a hefeweizen? And while a thick mash may be better for multirest mashes, if I were raising the rest temperatures by direct heat I'd be a bit worried about scorching. Then if I were doing decoctions, I'd probably want it slightly on the thinner side of average.
My advice would be to go with what works for you.

This is what Palmer has to say on the matter:
"The grist/water ratio is another factor influencing the performance of the mash. A thinner mash of >2 quarts of water per pound of grain dilutes the relative concentration of the enzymes, slowing the conversion, but ultimately leads to a more fermentable mash because the enzymes are not inhibited by a high concentration of sugars. A stiff mash of <1.25 quarts of water per pound is better for protein breakdown, and results in a faster overall starch conversion, but the resultant sugars are less fermentable and will result in a sweeter, maltier beer. A thicker mash is more gentle to the enzymes because of the lower heat capacity of grain compared to water. A thick mash is better for multirest mashes because the enzymes are not denatured as quickly by a rise in temperature."
And no doubt he's right, but do you want high protein breakdown in a hefeweizen? And while a thick mash may be better for multirest mashes, if I were raising the rest temperatures by direct heat I'd be a bit worried about scorching. Then if I were doing decoctions, I'd probably want it slightly on the thinner side of average.
My advice would be to go with what works for you.

I usually mash at 3L/kg and was contmeplating moving to thicker mashes to see if I could improve efficiency. For the hefeweizen I did a thinner (multi-step) mash at 3.5L/kg on @phillc 's advice, and my efficiency went up by 5%! Question is to continue with the thinner mash... I wonder if the ease of stirring the thinner mash also helped.

Back