Mashing out

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm still new to all this and have brewed a couple of time with my Robbobrew, when mashing out say for 10 mins is that included in the 60mins mash time or in addition so 70mins in total, how do other Robbobrew users mash out.

TIA,
London.

Its in addition to your normal mash and is done usually around 75C. This step stops all of the enzyme action (preserving your fermentable sugar profile) and makes the grainbed and wort more fluid. So 60 mins to mash at say 67c and 10 mins to mash out at say 75c is pretty normal Ps do not forget your initial mash temp depends on style and can vary. With modern malts it is not generally needed to mash out although I still do it out of habit

I'd never heard of mashing out before I joined this forum. I do not have the capability to raise the temperature of the mash to 75C. However I batch sparge at 75C is this serving the same purpose.
Thanks

I’m with Chesh. sparging around 76...I suppose it is the same...I have tried sort of mashing out by adding a couple of litres of my sparge water to the tun and leaving it for 10 minutes but haven’t really noticed a difference.

Back