Master malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAlBrewer

Reaction score
I recently bought a Morgan’s Master malt thinking it was a kit. I was advised by B2B that it wasn’t a kit but something you add to a brew. So not ever used or added such a malt, to any brew I’ve made, do I use the whole tin with a kit, to make like a two tin brew, or just some of it, and do I add sugar in the normal way, or is the malt a substitute for sugar.
12D8814E-EA50-46F5-9FF4-9CB560BE12EC.jpeg

Not something I've seen, but it seems to be a tin of malt extract. If so, it definitely is not a kit. This gives you 2 possibilities:
1. Use it to augment a one-can kit instead of sugar, as cheeseyfeet suggests. This should give you a maltier, tastier brew than the standard, bare kit - but you might struggle to figure out just how much extract to use.
2. Use it as malt extract (which it is!) and make an extract-only brew. This will mean you'll need a recipe, plus you'll have to buy some hops, and you'll have to boil at least some of the wort with the hops. A little bit more complicated, but you'll be calling the shots, especially on how hoppy the beer will be, so it will be "your" beer - and once you get the hang of brewing it, it can be tweaked to be just how you like it.

I might just have to bite the bullet and see what happens. I’m not equipped to boil hops etc, but if I added the said malt to a kit, it should at least be drinkable with a bit of luck. It’s a very pale ale malt, so if I add it to a pale ale kit it should turn out fine. In for a penny. Thanks for your input, I’m still learning even though I’ve been brewing for years.🍺

Latest posts

Back