MasterPint Czech Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bort

Reaction score
I’ve currently got a MasterPint Czech Pilsner brewing away in the corner of the kitchen as my collection of empty PET bottles needs refilling with beer!

I brewed 23 litres on 24/10/20 with 1kg of brewing sugar to give an original gravity of 1036. With a target gravity of around 1009 this should give a fairly weak lager of around 3.5% ABV.

If I were brewing this kit again I would probably brew short to around 20 litres to try and get the alcohol content a little higher.

I’ll post on here in a few weeks how I get on but the plan is to bottle all of this beer and let secondary fermentation take place.

I've done a few master pint kits, amongst them the European lager to which I added extra fermentables
as the OG was a bit low for the advertised 5% abv.
I recently made the bitter which again seemed a little light when checking gravity but after a little extra
golden syrup ended up as a very drinkable ale ( also aided by an even fermentation in my new brew fridge ).

I feel that on balance although some of the budget extract kits can make a decent pint ( I really like the
Bulldog IPA ) by the time you've paid for dextrose, dme, hop additions etc. you're better off going for a complete kit from the likes of Festival or Youngs ( got an American IPA about to cold crash ! athumb.. )

The pilsner is bubbling away nicely in the corner of the kitchen but might it be a good time now to drop in a tin of golden syrup to boost the gravity of the beer? Obviously my original gravity reading will be voided so the true ABV will never be known.

I bottled this beer last week with reduced priming sugar compared with previous bottled beers (see my post of the Belgian Brown that has resulted in overly-fizzy and eruptive beer) after fermentation ceased at a final gravity of 1006 which will give a nice 3.8% lager.

Fermentation seemed to have finished after a week in our cool kitchen and so I dropped the fermentation vessel in front of the log burner for a week and every evening it went wild so clearly there was a lot of sugar to ferment out... good job I did this as the final gravity I am really pleased with.

I will open a bottle in the coming days I think to see how it’s fairing as I have a good feeling about this one.

I will be buying a heating belt from Brew2Bottle soon as well so the log burner trick shouldn’t be required again and a more consistent temperature can be maintained.

Down to my last few 500ml PET bottles of this MasterPint Czech Pilsner and it's been a very nice lager to drink. I took a box of them to share with my team-mates after ice hockey the other week and they all loved it so I think this is definitely one to brew again in the future.

Back