matt76's Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve made the David Heath Verdant IPA twice, the first time dry hopping at yeast pitch and the second after fermentation. I also did the same with Vacant gesture ( a dry hopped blonde beer)

Both beers had much more hop aroma when dry hopped after fermentation had finished.
Thanks @Moe , that's really interesting 👍

Originally I was dry hopping "normally" at the end of fermentation, generally with good results.

I wanted to experiment with dry hopping early for a couple of reasons - biotransformation of hop compounds when the yeast is active, and limiting O2 exposure.

But at least one of those reasons has gone away so next time I'm gonna go back to dry hopping at the end (possibly try again with cold & short dry hopping) 👍🍻

Thanks @Moe , that's really interesting 👍

Originally I was dry hopping "normally" at the end of fermentation, generally with good results.

I wanted to experiment with dry hopping early for a couple of reasons - biotransformation of hop compounds when the yeast is active, and limiting O2 exposure.

But at least one of those reasons has gone away so next time I'm gonna go back to dry hopping at the end (possibly try again with cold & short dry hopping) 👍🍻
[

Both brews were a couple of months apart, so far from a scientific comparison, but it’s interesting that you found the same too 👍🏻

AG#75 Hoppy Amber Ale v4

A few minor changes over the last attempt:

I've reduced the base malt to bring the total grist down to 2.0kg;

A fraction less CRS and a bit more gypsum in the water treatment;

I'll add the dry hop at the end of fermentation this time rather then at yeast pitch - this will be my second kegged beer and I'm optimistic if not 100% confident I can keep O2 exposure to practically zero.

15L tap water, 15ml CRS Lactic Acid 80%, 3g gypsum, half a Campden tablet, giving:
Calcium 182
Chloride 110
Sulfate 245
Alkalinity 114

1500g Golden Promise Malt
500g Vienna Malt
250g Amber Malt
250g Carapils
2.5kg Total

60min full-volume no-sparge mash @ 67degC

Boil 30mins:
I'm using a blend of hops, Amarillo 8.3%, Cascade 6.7% and Centennial 9.5% AAU
5g of each for 30mins
5g of each for 15mins
10g of each for 10mins
10g of each for 5 mins
1/2 Protafloc tablet 5mins

Dry hop:
Will add 10g of each at end of fermentation

11L in the FV at 20degC with another 2L crud in bottles to settle out and top up the FV later.

Pitched 5.5g BRY-97.

5.7 SRM - Amber
48 IBUs Rager
OG 1.037, a point lower then planned but should end up around 1.008 and just shy of 4% ABV.

AG#75 Hoppy Amber Ale v4

A few minor changes over the last attempt:

I've reduced the base malt to bring the total grist down to 2.0kg;

A fraction less CRS and a bit more gypsum in the water treatment;

I'll add the dry hop at the end of fermentation this time rather then at yeast pitch - this will be my second kegged beer and I'm optimistic if not 100% confident I can keep O2 exposure to practically zero.

15L tap water, 15ml CRS Lactic Acid 80%, 3g gypsum, half a Campden tablet, giving:
Calcium 182
Chloride 110
Sulfate 245
Alkalinity 114

1500g Golden Promise Malt
500g Vienna Malt
250g Amber Malt
250g Carapils
2.5kg Total

60min full-volume no-sparge mash @ 67degC

Boil 30mins:
I'm using a blend of hops, Amarillo 8.3%, Cascade 6.7% and Centennial 9.5% AAU
5g of each for 30mins
5g of each for 15mins
10g of each for 10mins
10g of each for 5 mins
1/2 Protafloc tablet 5mins

Dry hop:
Will add 10g of each at end of fermentation

11L in the FV at 20degC with another 2L crud in bottles to settle out and top up the FV later.

Pitched 5.5g BRY-97.

5.7 SRM - Amber
48 IBUs Rager
OG 1.037, a point lower then planned but should end up around 1.008 and just shy of 4% ABV.
Looks very nice, that athumb..

Looks very nice, that athumb..
Thanks 👍 I had a bottle of v3 last night actually, still nice but it quickly lost its hoppiness after bottling 😕 Hopefully will put that right this time with the keg and low O2 transfer.

It'll be a few months yet, but I'm planning an English variation on this - I'll replace the American hops with (probably) EKG and replace the yeast with an English strain, hopefully the Fuller's one if I can culture it up from the bottle 👍🤞

🚨🚨🚨!!!Delivery Klaxon!!!🚨🚨🚨

PS - I will not be available next weekend 👍🔧🔨🪚🍻😁

20210817_122840.jpg

Corny's living up to their reputation of breeding like rabbits I see.

Which reminds me, I need another...
Don't forget to order a Tilt while you're at it 👍😉🤣

I decided to dip my toe in the water with the first one (currently in the fridge behind) but now I'm going all in with a 3 tap kegerator 👍🍻

Looks ace! Very neat and tidy work with the connections. athumb..
Actually measuring and drilling the holes really didn't take much time at all.

I'd already worked out on a schematic how everything would connect together, but the really time consuming part was figuring out in practice where everything would go, line lengths, where to mount the secondary regulator so it would be accessible etc.

Good question!

For now I've liberated a large plastic sheet (from IKEA originally, "Kolon" floor protector) which is at least easier to wipe clean than the carpet underneath.

But yeah, it was pretty obvious immediately that some sort of drip tray is probably required 👍
I had a similar day yesterday, but you’re a lot further on. Fitting in 6 19L is a bit ambitious, but I may try one laid down :)

7ED014B7-28AC-455F-8C47-1836417E51DA.jpeg

It fits! 😁

20210822_125405.jpg

Spent a bit more time this morning in the garage, even had a young assistant to help me with drilling a few holes and learning how to connect push fits 😊

I decided to move the secondary regulator outside the fridge and hang it on the wall behind - it'll be easier to see the gauge there and adjust without constantly opening the fridge door. Also leaves a bit more space inside.

Currently set up to allow two kegs at lower pressure, and the third at higher pressure if I'm doing something that wants a bit more carbonation (like the hefeweizen I plan to brew next!).

The pipes are a bit of a rats nest but I took inspiration from @DocAnna and used different coloured cable ties to mark each one so it's clear what's what.

I might see if I can find inspiration at some point to fine tune some of the pipe lengths to make it a bit neater - 3/16” is easy but 3/8" is surprisingly inflexible!

Great use of space there to fit three kegs in athumb... I found it helps to have the 3/8" lines a lot longer than you might think, it allows them to be looped to the top of the fridge and back down to the kegs, and means you can connect them outside the fridge then lift them in. Spring clips can also be used to group pipes together. I do like the colour coded cable ties - it makes it a lot easier to know which keg is connected to which tap. I've since discovered they are available in a wide range of colours, so I'm thinking of changing them to coral pink, orange and turquoise just because 😊.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08XXSR82F/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_123QRCBB7Y9Y28C0KA63

Great use of space there to fit three kegs in athumb... I found it helps to have the 3/8" lines a lot longer than you might think, it allows them to be looped to the top of the fridge and back down to the kegs, and means you can connect them outside the fridge then lift them in. Spring clips can also be used to group pipes together. I do like the colour coded cable ties - it makes it a lot easier to know which keg is connected to which tap. I've since discovered they are available in a wide range of colours, so I'm thinking of changing them to coral pink, orange and turquoise just because 😊.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08XXSR82F/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_123QRCBB7Y9Y28C0KA63
I've been meaning to ask you actually @DocAnna , where did you get the cable clips you used in your kegerator? It keeps everything neat but wasn't sure if they're stick on or screwed - the latter makes me slightly nervous 😬

I've been meaning to ask you actually @DocAnna , where did you get the cable clips you used in your kegerator? It keeps everything neat but wasn't sure if they're stick on or screwed - the latter makes me slightly nervous 😬
Just screwfix - This is a selection pack but you can buy a 10 pack of any one size too Tool Clip Selection Pack 100 Pcs
I used short (I think about 12-15mm) screws which only just went through the plastic on the side walls. In view of where the compressor hump was and that only the back wall gets properly cold, I was fairly comfortable just screwing them in to the sides.

Back