Max volume to ferment in corny keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im planning to try pressure fermenting in a corny keg tomorrow and wondering what peoples thoughts are on the max volume of wort to transfer in.

Ill be using Lallemands voss kviek and letting pressure build to about 12psi. No temp control (got my brew buckets in both my fridges) so planning to pitch at about 37C and leave the keg at room temp for a week or so, then cold crash once a fridge is free then pressure transfer to another keg for serving.

If no one suggests any better Ill go with a target of 17L, giving 2L headspace. Ill connect a blowoff tube to my spunding valve incase I get a lot of foam.

Also, any suggestions for filtering the beer during transfer? I have a MD bouncer filter I normally use but suspect it will not handle even a small amount of pressure. I may try dropping the pressure right down for transfer but worrried I will end up with a lot of foam in the second keg. I will be using a fermzilla floating dip tube in the fermenting keg to avoid sucking up the trub from the bottom as much as possible.

Back