May 22 Competition - American Pale Ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had lots of fun trying all the beers last night, hangover shifted and will get all the feedback out later. Making a start now. I haven't dropped marks for clarity because I wasn't sure with all of them whether they were supposed to be clear or not...also I have a feeling that some didn't travel well as will be revealed in the feedback.

ok so feedback for @dave_77

Aroma; High hop aroma, piles of lemon, bit of pine and bubblegum, could smell it before I poured, delicious 9/12

Appearance;
Pale, Hazy, thin head which quickly disipates, looks fresh and refreshing (if such a thing is possible). 2/3

Flavour
; Tastes much like it smells, bitter but not overly so. Bitterness and hop flavour well balance with some maltiness there too, hints of orange flavours. Thirst quenching. 16/20

Mouthfeel;
Light bodied, quite dry, a little bit of astringency which works well. Perfectly Carbed. 4/10

Overall Impression
; Despite winning this split the judges a little bit with one of us thinking it was slightly too bitter for a pale. Despite this we all thought it was a lovely well made beer, well balanced. The aroma really was the icing on the cake. A lovely beer. 8/10

Total 39.

Had lots of fun trying all the beers last night, hangover shifted and will get all the feedback out later. Making a start now. I haven't dropped marks for clarity because I wasn't sure with all of them whether they were supposed to be clear or not...also I have a feeling that some didn't travel well as will be revealed in the feedback.

ok so feedback for @dave_77

Aroma; High hop aroma, piles of lemon, bit of pine and bubblegum, could smell it before I poured, delicious 9/12

Appearance;
Pale, Hazy, thin head which quickly disipates, looks fresh and refreshing (if such a thing is possible). 2/3

Flavour
; Tastes much like it smells, bitter but not overly so. Bitterness and hop flavour well balance with some maltiness there too, hints of orange flavours. Thirst quenching. 16/20

Mouthfeel;
Light bodied, quite dry, a little bit of astringency which works well. Perfectly Carbed. 4/10

Overall Impression
; Despite winning this split the judges a little bit with one of us thinking it was slightly too bitter for a pale. Despite this we all thought it was a lovely well made beer, well balanced. The aroma really was the icing on the cake. A lovely beer. 8/10

Total 39.
Thanks for the feedback 👍🏼👍🏼

Back