May as well have a brewday then

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapbrew

Junk and disorderly
Reaction score
I intended to make some biodiesel today, but I forgot to get the waste veg oil yesterday.

So I decided to make use of the time and do a batch of AG instead, going for a quaffable summer ale, aiming for a 10 litre batch.

800g Maris Otter (68.08%)
300g Unmalted Wheat (25.53%)
50g Flaked Barley (4.25%)
25g Roast Barley (2.14%)

Mash 1 hour @ 66C
Boil 1 hour
5g Bullion @ 60 mins
10g First Gold @ 15 mins

Rebellion brewery yeast
SG 1038

I may dry hop with some First gold too.

Cheers, it went well, I got my brew time down to just over three and a half hours, started heating water whilst eating my lunch at 1.45 and wort was in the FV and yeast pitched at 5.20 then all cleaned up and tidied away by 5.30 ready to start cooking dinner!

I wanted a low bitter but slightly hoppy brew for summer evenings after work so fingers crossed, I must admit when I saw the amount of hops some folks use it seemed like somewhere I wouldn't go, but my liking for hoppiness seems to be increasing as I get to know the different hops, so some dry hopping may be called for on this one.

Cheers, it went well, I got my brew time down to just over three and a half hours, started heating water whilst eating my lunch at 1.45 and wort was in the FV and yeast pitched at 5.20 then all cleaned up and tidied away by 5.30 ready to start cooking dinner!

Blimey that's good going!

I did my first AG yesterday and clocked in at 10 hours from start to tools cleaned! [emoji1]

...and that doesn't count the leaking FV tap that I discovered at midnight and had to decant into a fresh one!

A mere 7 hours to shave off!

I did my first AG yesterday and clocked in at 10 hours from start to tools cleaned! [emoji1]

...and that doesn't count the leaking FV tap that I discovered at midnight and had to decant into a fresh one!

Is that full AG? My first ever BIAB only took me about 4 hours.

Looks good chug. How did your Guinness turn out?

DonC - I could probably drive to the shop to buy the ingredients, drive back then brew it and still be done quicker than that haha.

First Gold is an excellent hop and perfect for this sort of beer. Sounds good.

Yes I've used it in a brew trying to recreate a local brewery blonde ale and liked it so I've used it a few times now

My first was around 5 hours and I've been reducing it slowly each brew, I think around 3 hrs is gonna be my limit

Looks good chug. How did your Guinness turn out?

DonC - I could probably drive to the shop to buy the ingredients, drive back then brew it and still be done quicker than that haha.

The batch of guinness using local brewery yeast carbed up well and after a week conditioning I tried a bottle last week and it was very drinkable but still a little early.

The batch using NBS ale yeast has carbed up much more slowly and I haven't even put it out to condition yet, but I tried a bottle last weekend and although it tasted good it still needs more time and wasn't as nice as the local brewery yeast version at the same stage of carbing.

I'm glad I used some PET bottles to keep an eye on the carbing. :thumb:

My first was around 5 hours and I've been reducing it slowly each brew, I think around 3 hrs is gonna be my limit

Hmmm...so I'm clearly doing something different....

1hr Heat mash water and dough in
1.5hrs Mash
1hr 2 x sparge and drain
1.5hr boil
.5hr chill (the wort, not me)
.5hr aerate, pitch, seal up FV
1hr clean up, pour pint, admire handiwork, plan next shiny purchase

Or thereabouts! Clearly I was even slower than this first time around.

What am I doing wrong? [emoji1]

This was looking almost finished at the beginning of the week so I chucked in a little parcel of First Gold for a dry hop and then yesterday I checked the SG and its down to 1010 and tasting good so I'll probably bottle over the w/end sometime. :thumb:

I bottled this on 18th April and had a taster last w/end which was nice but it still needed time, I had another today and much improved although still not completely clear but the first gold hoppiness is lovely and I could maybe have put in more ( I've noticed my liking for hoppy beers is increasing, I used to shudder at the amounts some guys used but I seem to be craving more!)

I bottled this on 18th April and had a taster last w/end which was nice but it still needed time, I had another today and much improved although still not completely clear but the first gold hoppiness is lovely and I could maybe have put in more ( I've noticed my liking for hoppy beers is increasing, I used to shudder at the amounts some guys used but I seem to be craving more!)

+1 I dry hop at least half of every batch as a test, and always seem to prefer the hoppier version. I think hop addiction is a side effect of brewing!

Back