May Brew and Swap - Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't planning a Saison but why not I will make this the next brew. You've helpfully posted the guidelines, for clarity (excuse the pun), is that 5-7% and subtle spice, zest additions allowed?

Looks like I’ve made the school boy error of not reading the rules
Brewed my version of a ‘Table’ Saison yesterday not realising that we were aiming for ‘Standard’ Saisons !
Ah well maybe next time
Go ahead and join in. No one is going to mind a missing percentage point or two, the idea of narrowing the style was just to bring a bit more consistency into the mix.

As far as I’m aware I’ve only had one Saison and that was Brooklyn Sorachi Ace when it was on tap at at a local pre Covid, reading up not sure it’s a true saison but I loved it.
If I get the chance next weekend I’ll have a go at a clone with the grains I’ve got, and get some hops from CML, they have a couple of different Saison yeasts will either of these be ok?

As far as I’m aware I’ve only had one Saison and that was Brooklyn Sorachi Ace when it was on tap at at a local pre Covid, reading up not sure it’s a true saison but I loved it.
If I get the chance next weekend I’ll have a go at a clone with the grains I’ve got, and get some hops from CML, they have a couple of different Saison yeasts will either of these be ok?
I was going to do a sorachi ace saison too. Had these hops for a while and apparently the go well in a saison.
One of the cml saison yeasts is undoubtedly Belle Saison (the high attenuation one, which would definitely work.

I have brew a good few Saison's with sorachi ace. Really nice hop 👍

I may enter this. Really enjoyed the cream ale swaps, just a little unsure at the moment as I've never made this style. Am doing some research as I'm starting to collect too many odd hops ends and want to use some up...as well as odd ends of grain bags (consequence of making small batches). I also have a CML Moari Mingle AG kit waiting to brew..too many choices! 🤔

Just bought The Bible, so it looks I’ll be doing the Greg Hughes recipe. The only thing I’m missing is the Styrian Goldings, good excuse to buy some more hops😀
It's a very good book, but I've never fancied that recipe. I prefer just base malts - pilsner, pale and wheat in the ratio of 2:1:1 ish - with a good dollop of sugar and mashed low for a pale, dry refreshing beer. I've been wary about wy3724, I've read it can be temperamental and attenuation doesn't look high enough. Look forward to trying it though 🙂

Just out of curiosity, does it have to be a light saison or can it be dark?
Of course 👍. The idea behind this was to brew what you want and then see what others got up to. We’re planning stouts for the summer brew, a suggested sub-style will be all the more important there. But having a bit of variety in the mix will make it more interesting.

Brewed mine today. Recipe here, used the grain from GH's bible.

Unfortunately, I didnt save the recipe on brewsmith so cant remember the ibu and predicted og. Definitely a user upper on the hop front which was good.

It went a little something like this.

5kg pilsner
300g wheat

2 hour mash at 65, brought to boil, 30 min boil...

10g first gold & 10g brewers gold @30.
Protofloc @10
40g styrian goldings & 2 cardamom pods & 200g sugar @5 .

Cooled to 25c and pitched belle saison! OG 1061.

Unfortunately, I didnt save the recipe on brewsmith so cant remember the ibu and predicted og. Definitely a user upper on the hop front which was good.

5kg pilsner
300g wheat

Protofloc @10

I’ve just put it into Brewfather. GH has 13g Magnum at 60min and 20g Styrian Golding at flame out coming out at a rather low 16IBU.

I was thinking of same grain bill but going first wort with the magnum and shooting for mid-20’s.
On one hand, I like bitter beers. On the other, this is both my first Saison and also my first GH recipe brew!

5kg pilsner
300g wheat

Protofloc @10

I thought you might of went with the same recipe as the last saison you brewed. The one with the dark rye. It was very good 👌

I’ve just put it into Brewfather. GH has 13g Magnum at 60min and 20g Styrian Golding at flame out coming out at a rather low 16IBU.

I was thinking of same grain bill but going first wort with the magnum and shooting for mid-20’s.
On one hand, I like bitter beers. On the other, this is both my first Saison and also my first GH recipe brew!

If I remember, but cant be sure, my ibu came out at 23. Like the idea of first wort, thought about it myself. I've never done a pale saison before. I'm thinking mine might end up at about 6.7% which should be alright for our little swap I believe?

Back