May Brew and Swap - Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will brew my saison this week. It will be the same as my last brew. I will be using hallertau blanc, wyeast french saison yeast 3711. I just need to up the abv slightly, I am aiming around 6.5%.
This is the current batch but I was light on pilsner so it's 5.5%.
IMG_20220317_160932179.jpg

If I remember, but cant be sure, my ibu came out at 23. Like the idea of first wort, thought about it myself. I've never done a pale saison before. I'm thinking mine might end up at about 6.7% which should be alright for our little swap I believe?
If it’s a Saison, it’s good👍. The standard pale was a nudge, not a directive. There were only seven cream ales brewed and there’s probably seven different styles of Saison. I’ll update the earlier post for wandering newcomers to the thread,

Definitely going to do another dark one. Not now but soon.
I was perfectly happy brewing and drinking IPA's, Vienna lagers and wheat beers that tended to get darker in colour as the weather got colder. Then @samale gave me a load of this Belgian stuff to try and I've just found a whole new rabbit hole to get lost in. The boozy amber Saison's look like just the sort of thing I'd got nuts for.

I was perfectly happy brewing and drinking IPA's, Vienna lagers and wheat beers that tended to get darker in colour as the weather got colder. Then @samale gave me a load of this Belgian stuff to try and I've just found a whole new rabbit hole to get lost in. The boozy amber Saison's look like just the sort of thing I'd got nuts for.

Yeah does look nice!

I love Belgian beers, the biggest problem is the abv 🤒

I too was gonna make a sorachi ace saison, but I will go for something different. I've been a bit ill the past few days so I've not been able to do any brewing, but it's given me time to think about it.

I have some homegrown Chinook I think I'll use instead.

I too was gonna make a sorachi ace saison, but I will go for something different. I've been a bit ill the past few days so I've not been able to do any brewing, but it's given me time to think about it.

I have some homegrown Chinook I think I'll use instead.
I think that Chinook would work well in a saison

You know when you walk into a room and forget why you went in there? That's kind of what I did with this thread earlier :laugh8:

Anyway, what I also meant to say on my thread above is my last batch is a sorachi saison fermented with Lallemand Farmhouse, which is a non diastatic saison yeast. However it's really clean, maybe with a hint of "farmhouse" or it could be the strong herby dill from the sorachi ace, as I did use quite a lot.

You know when you walk into a room and forget why you went in there? That's kind of what I did with this thread earlier :laugh8:

Anyway, what I also meant to say on my thread above is my last batch is a sorachi saison fermented with Lallemand Farmhouse, which is a non diastatic saison yeast. However it's really clean, maybe with a hint of "farmhouse" or it could be the strong herby dill from the sorachi ace, as I did use quite a lot.
How much is quite a lot? I've got an amount in mind but it's really a stab in the dark.

How much is quite a lot? I've got an amount in mind but it's really a stab in the dark.
I used 100g in total for a 23L batch. The hop character does turn it into a sorachi ace IPA as the yeast didn't give any saison characteristics.

My full recipe is here if you wanna have a look: Grainfather Community Tools

Latest posts

Back