May Brew and Swap - Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening all. The Cream Ale swap seemed to be enjoyed by all who took part and there's an appetite to have another go in the spring time.

This time round the style is Saison. The aim will be to have beer ready to post out on or around the 22nd May in groups of 3 or 4, so there's 10 weeks to research a recipe and get it brewed. That date isn't set in stone and if anyone wants an extra week or two, speak up.

@samale has made the excellent suggestion to stick to Standard Strength to keep the beers being swapped a bit more consistent.
Update: Standard Pale is meant as a suggestion, it makes it easier for people like me who’ve never brewed one and are easily distracted to pick a recipe. However, any variation of saison is welcome.

If you want to take part, get your brew on and post your recipe here. We can work out the swaps nearer the time.

BJCP style guidelines here.

Last edited:
I've probably brewed more saison than any other style, I love the dry, fizzy, spicy thing in a summer quaffing beer. I suspect that even within the style guidelines there'll be loads of variation, should be an interesting one.
Have we left enough time for this one? I'm reading around this evening, and it looks like some of these yeasts need a bit of time to get the job done!

Have we left enough time for this one? I'm reading around this evening, and it looks like some of these yeasts need a bit of time to get the job done!
Yes I think it'll be fine. Actually I tend to think that saison is best drank youngish, it seems to lose some of the spice and funk when aged. I've also read that some saison yeasts do stall and take a while to finish, but I've only really used wy3711 French saison and never had any trouble at all with it. I'm going to use mj m29 this time after reading good things about it (reportedly dry version of 3711

Yes I think it'll be fine. Actually I tend to think that saison is best drank youngish, it seems to lose some of the spice and funk when aged. I've also read that some saison yeasts do stall and take a while to finish, but I've only really used wy3711 French saison and never had any trouble at all with it. I'm going to use mj m29 this time after reading good things about it (reportedly dry version of 3711
I normally use dry yeast but my latest saison I used 3711. Its only in the bottle's one week but it is tasting promising.

Evening all. The Cream Ale swap seemed to be enjoyed by all who took part and there's an appetite to have another go in the spring time.

This time round the style is Saison. The aim will be to have beer ready to post out on or around the 22nd May in groups of 3 or 4, so there's 10 weeks to research a recipe and get it brewed. That date isn't set in stone and if anyone wants an extra week or two, speak up.

@samale has made the excellent suggestion to stick to Standard Strength to keep the beers being swapped a bit more consistent.

If you want to take part, get your brew on and post your recipe here. We can work out the swaps nearer the time.

BJCP style guidelines here.
Looks like I’ve made the school boy error of not reading the rules
Brewed my version of a ‘Table’ Saison yesterday not realising that we were aiming for ‘Standard’ Saisons !
Ah well maybe next time

I'd like to be in on this. I just had a Wyeast farmhouse pack delivered. I also have a sorachi ace saison conditioning now with Lallemand farmhouse yeast, however it's really clean.

Do we have to get as close to style guidelines as possible?

Back