May Brew and Swap - Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Alastair70 do we have a date / window for swapping / sampling? I'd been a bit worried I'd started mine late, but seeing @jceg316 post I'm somewhat reassured 🙂
The plan was posting bottles out on around the 22nd May. There's no harm in pushing it back a week or so if a couple of people need a bit more time to get theirs out. I'd rather drink a better beer a week later personally.
It looks like there are quite a few people brewing this time round so I might do a Secret Santa style message for individuals. The last swap was easy as there were only 7 of us in it. We can do a roll call in a couple of weeks and see what will work best.

The plan was posting bottles out on around the 22nd May. There's no harm in pushing it back a week or so if a couple of people need a bit more time to get theirs out. I'd rather drink a better beer a week later personally.
It looks like there are quite a few people brewing this time round so I might do a Secret Santa style message for individuals. The last swap was easy as there were only 7 of us in it. We can do a roll call in a couple of weeks and see what will work best.
Good plan đź‘Ś

Looks like a simple yet solid recipe đź‘Ť.
Thanks. I want most the flavour to come from the yeast. The Chinook is homegrown so has a different character to American grown Chinook. More earthy with some resinous flavours, but there more to add dimension to the yeast phenols & esters.

I don't wanna hold everyone up so if mine is not done in time do go ahead without me.

Mines down to about 1.005, but is obviously still fermenting. Might be cutting it a bit fine. Gravity sample promising.

The swap date is completely flexible. The original proposal was posting out on or around 22nd May, if a few people have beers coming good a week or so after that, then it makes sense to push it back a bit and include them. I’ll do a roll call in a couple of weeks, anyone interested in participating can declare themselves in and estimate when they’ll be ready to post out. The more the merrier!

Mine has reached FG surprisingly quick! It could probably do with a but more time for the yeast to clean up, but is tasting pretty decent already. I'm really looking forward to it!

I'm using WY3727, I made a litre starter from a massively out of date pack, fermented at 25c. It's currently surprisingly clean tasting. There is a "farmhouse" flavour but it's subtle.

Mine has reached FG surprisingly quick! It could probably do with a but more time for the yeast to clean up, but is tasting pretty decent already. I'm really looking forward to it!

I'm using WY3727, I made a litre starter from a massively out of date pack, fermented at 25c. It's currently surprisingly clean tasting. There is a "farmhouse" flavour but it's subtle.
When you say farmhouse, are you talking Brett

When you say farmhouse, are you talking Brett
It's called Farmhouse but seems to only have a single saccharomyces strain. According to the Wyeast website there should be a stronger flavour more like a saison, with some tartness. I will try a warmer fermentation next time.

I finally got my saison brewed yesterday, unfortunately life got ahead of brewing!
If I bottle in two weeks, it might be somewhat underconditioned by the sending date. Hopefully will still be drinkable though!

It's called Farmhouse but seems to only have a single saccharomyces strain. According to the Wyeast website there should be a stronger flavour more like a saison, with some tartness. I will try a warmer fermentation next time.
What temp did you ferment at?

Another week in bottle and it’s hitting its stride nicely. Buckets of yeast phenols and I like the added dark caramel notes the Special B has added. Goes well with the scampi fries.
97BE73A7-6616-4B2F-84D5-E889A82FF42D.jpeg

Sorry slightly off topic, and another one of those posts, but opened my fermenter to dry hop my saison and saw this.
Is this ok? Looks like it could be yeast rafts but it's so orange.
Fermentation profile has been as expected. Very rapid, now tailing off. It's just after day 4.

Attachments

• IMG20220505132657.jpg
    IMG20220505132657.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 18
Sorry slightly off topic, and another one of those posts, but opened my fermenter to dry hop my saison and saw this.
Fermentation profile has been as expected. Very rapid, now tailing off. It's just after day 4.

Mine is really orange as well, tastes and smells terrible as well.
Cloudy orange in fact.
Not sure what to do.
I dont have any visible infection on top though.

I think it's just dried yeast that floated on the top. Probably nothing to worry about. See what the finished beer ends up like. If it's fine, then you know that this particular yeast gives you an orange crust. If not, then you know the bad beer and the crust may be linked.

I think it's just dried yeast that floated on the top. Probably nothing to worry about. See what the finished beer ends up like. If it's fine, then you know that this particular yeast gives you an orange crust. If not, then you know the bad beer and the crust may be linked.
Just did a gravity check, and these have now gone, so presume it was floating yeast. Tastes like a saison, so all good I think.

Latest posts

Back