May is Mild month

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a mild on today. I originally fancied doing a early C20th mild from Tetley's, but like a lot of recipes from just after the Victorian era, it was North of 6% and 80 IBU's, so I don't think it would be one to try and get into the glass in three weeks. So I settled on messing about (messing up?) a 1930's Greene King XX mild, which is a nice light (20 EBC) old school mild. I'll post a recipe later in my brew day thread.

Polish_20200507_120827678.jpg
I

All ready for VE Day

How are you finding it @Honk ? Do you think the use of simple sugars gives it that C20th mild like taste?
I Do yes, you have changed my mind about using sugars, I shall use them more often from now on. The Mild is just what I was hoping for, ideal to have in the garden on a hot day without feeling guilty I'm consuming too much alcohol.

Got a mild on today. I originally fancied doing a early C20th mild from Tetley's, but like a lot of recipes from just after the Victorian era, it was North of 6% and 80 IBU's, so I don't think it would be one to try and get into the glass in three weeks. So I settled on messing about (messing up?) a 1930's Greene King XX mild, which is a nice light (20 EBC) old school mild. I'll post a recipe later in my brew day thread.
Don't think you have updated your brewday thread yet but I look forward to seeing the recipe.
I have a Tetleys IPA recipe from 1868 I brewed with calculated 111 IBU, I drank a minikeg of it quite young (maybe 4 weeks) and enjoyed it but the remaining 19 litres i'm going to age longer, its about 5 months in the keg now so it must have had nearly time to reach India prior to the Suez canal being built.

I made this at beginning of March.
11 litre batch
1kg Dark DME
150 gms golden syrup
30 gms fuggles boil for 30 minutes
20 gms fuggles steep for 30 minutes
CML Beoir yeast
OG 1040
FG 1010
About 4%

First bottle was horrifically sweet, but now it's a nice drinking ruby mild.

My Mild (see above) has been going down so well that I've decided to brew the same again tomorow, except i now have English ale yeast rather than Belgain, cornflakes to replace the flaked Maize and EKG rather than Fuggles for the later hop addition.

It's the first time I've brewed a lower ABV mild that I'm really happy with.

My Mild (see above) has been going down so well that I've decided to brew the same again tomorow, except i now have English ale yeast rather than Belgain, cornflakes to replace the flaked Maize and EKG rather than Fuggles for the later hop addition.

It's the first time I've brewed a lower ABV mild that I'm really happy with.

I read that without the comma and was wondering if Belgian Cornflakes are some hitherto obscure ingredient of Mild I've never heard of

Mild is finally bottled. Tastes great. Should just about get a cheeky one in the glass before the end of may, as this Wye Valley yeast seems to work pretty fast then drop out well so they are in the fermentation fridge at 21°C at the moment and I'll cold crash one next weekend for a bit if QC. I even put fancy pants labels on them. Well, some of them. Hark at me. :laugh8:

IMG_20200525_185437.jpg
IMG_20200525_185453.jpg

Well, May is Mild Month is nearly running out and so is the partial mash Mild I packaged into my sole remaining PB on 20 March. I'm now down to the last 3 or 4 pints I reckon. The good news is the initial priming sugar charge has lasted all the way down, and I have still got a really good pressure to dispense the beer, the bad news is I reckon its just come good and its nearly all gone. asad1

Attachments

• IMG_20200527_204137454[1].jpg
    IMG_20200527_204137454[1].jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 135
Three days in the bottle. Gosh, this Wye Valley yeast is fast working. Taste wise, it clearly will benefit from longer conditioning, but it's jolly good, in a 'I could drink 15 pints of this' kind of way, without getting arsed and annoying. The ideal pub beer for a long social session with your mates. Lovely Fuggles and Goldings. Slight molasses note, with underlying crystal malts, which are perhaps helped by the slightly more malty mild base malt?

Anyway, ladies and gentlemen, I give you my contribution to Mild May - JJSH's 1937 XX Light Mild

3 days in the bottle!!!!

IMG_20200528_205734.jpg

Looks good @jjsh .

As Mild may draws to a close I finished off the first batch last night and have kegged the second batch this morning which early samples suggest should be every bit as good.

Loving my Mild at the moment when I fancy a few pints and not have a hangover the next morning.

Kegs really are like bus's

After 6 weeks on furlough where I couldn't brew much because all my kegs were full now that I'm back at work I've finished a mild last night and a Vienna lager today. No doubt my Spring beer will also finish this weekend, (my wife likes this one too).
Luckily I've got an English ipa and American ipa that are both almost full as well as the mild that in an emergency I could start drinking now, but what is what is it with kegs?
Wait all month then 3 are empty at once.

Better get some grain ordered.

Having a few of my light milds tonight. Nicely carbed up now and ready to drink. One thing I've noticed is it's not very exciting when cold (6° ish) but lovely when at cellar temps, which I suppose I shouldn't be surprised about at all, but the difference is significant.

Latest posts

Back