Maybe one for the extract brewers...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
In my minor and very occasional experience, I cant help but notice malt extract appears really expensive.... Now perhaps Im not looking at this the correct way and actually in terms of gravity points per pound spent its comparable to grain.... But for anyone who uses an appreciable quantity of either dry or liquid, where do you find the best value for money is for malt extract?

Edit to add Im not looking for hopped extract....

Druncan

Senior Moments
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I buy direct from Muntons now. Get some when I get my grain pallet shipped up here, very good price! Still love playing with extra light LME. Allows me to design brews quickly before doing an all grain version. Before that the only other place I could get it was from Davina Home | -youcanbrew-it-2017 -really helpful and not far from my daughters to get family shipping sorted athumb..

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
I buy direct from Muntons now. Get some when I get my grain pallet shipped up here, very good price! Still love playing with extra light LME. Allows me to design brews quickly before doing an all grain version. Before that the only other place I could get it was from Davina Home | -youcanbrew-it-2017 -really helpful and not far from my daughters to get family shipping sorted athumb..
Do Muntons sell "smaller" quantities? Id probably be willing to buy up to say, 50kg if they were willing to sell it to me.

Reaction score
I used to regularly buy spraymalt/DME for under £5 per kg, haven't ordered for a while but after seeing your posting noticed that prices have really shot up: just checked with my regular supplier who I paid £4.90 per kg up to last Oct, it's now £8.49 a kg! Cheapest I've found so far is £6.70 a kg.

I guess like everything, prices are going through the roof, my mates gas supplier put his rates up 55% today.

moto748

Landlord.
Reaction score
Bought some the other day from my local brew-shop. Think it was £6.99 a kilo. Which seems reasonable these days. Cheaper than Wilco, I think.

Tommo 2

Regular.
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread that just noticed whilst browsing , but might still be relevant , thehomebrewcompany are still selling 3 kilos of dried malt extract , of all varieties, for £15 so £5 a kilo seems a no brainer to me 👍🍻

Latest posts