Measuring fluid in the mash tun/boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowcrow

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi,

Hoping to use my Klarstein for the first time tonight, or tomorrow - but my question is how to you measure the fluid amounts? Do you jug the water in? Do you mark the sides of the vessels or have a measuring stick?

What is your preferred method - or am I over thinking this?

Cheers!

I use an Ullage Stick as per the photograph.

It measures what isn't there and as a result it doesn't get covered in sticky wort!

Ullage Stick.jpg

Thanks both! Like the ideas - think I'll make one of those sticks tonight, as I'll be most interested in the amount I have before and after the boil - and a stick like that will be perfect. I'll get pouring and scribing...

Thanks both! Like the ideas - think I'll make one of those sticks tonight, as I'll be most interested in the amount I have before and after the boil - and a stick like that will be perfect. I'll get pouring and scribing...
You can just use a ruler to measure up from the liquid to the top. If you know the internal height and pot radius then a simple formula tells you the volume

Hi Crowcrow, mine arrived today tested it for leaks stuck some water in it and fired it up all worked fine, I emptied it then measured what was under the tap 1.5ltr near as dam it, just need to get ingredients and away we go, is yours a fullhorn if so are you using a bag or just the sieve

Hi Crowcrow, mine arrived today tested it for leaks stuck some water in it and fired it up all worked fine, I emptied it then measured what was under the tap 1.5ltr near as dam it, just need to get ingredients and away we go, is yours a fullhorn if so are you using a bag or just the sieve
https://www.klarstein.co.uk/?cl=det...&varselid[0]=e018b9aa17e376b75cf41801365023a5
I got this one while is was £159 (Inc the newsletter discount) the Maischfest Mash Kettle. It comes with a internal metal 'bucket' with a seive base, so no bag needed.

I go by weight. Saves having dip/ullage sticks for multiple vessels and is especially useful if transferring to a closed vessel or one with a small aperture.

Latest posts

Back