Medical advice and drinking alcohol

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz Chaz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Funny isn't it, I saw the thread about not drinking for a week before and three weeks after the C19 vaccination. So with this in mind I thought I'd mention it to my consultant Oncologist when she 'phoned.

I'm now 8 weeks post radio/chemotherapy which I'd been having daily for 6 weeks. The first 2 weeks after the treatment you 'go downhill' its due to a cumulative effect. But then things improve, the first couple of weeks I wasn't eating very much as it was throat cancer and I was 'a bit sore'. But after that gradually building up, which brings me on to alcohol!

Oncologist was going through things with me then asked about food and drink. She was aware I had struggled, but told her on Christmas day I started the day with scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on toast. Christmas dinner, small portions of everything from pigs in blankets/turkey plus loads of veg, (no cranberry or apple sauce, couldn't manage with it being acidic) followed by Christmas pud, custard and .... AND ..... all washed down with a couple of pints!

She's a great character, roared laughing at the couple of pints to wash it down and said 'good on you, you do right'.

This lead to a conversation about meds there was only one warning, anything that makes you sleepy ie morphine/codeine etc best not to drink. Which was Ok as I'd stopped the heavy stuff a while ago.
Anything else, moderation is the key, I specifically asked about vaccinations as I'm 'clinically vulnerable' (immune system temporarily compromised around 6 months) and having my C19 vaccination tomorrow.
She just said, don't get plastered the night before.
Oh, will it affect the vaccine?
No, it won't affect the vaccine, but you might get breathalysed on the way to the clinic!

My kind of consultant, straight to the point, sense of humour and in the real world!

Latest posts

Back