Medicinal tasting beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz2

Reaction score
Hi all, AG three complete and just come to bottle AG two. Had dry hopped AG two for 6 days and tasting at this point and at bottling there was quite a medicinal/ chemical taste to it. I'm not sure if this is just the hop combination that will condition out (cascade and mosaic) or worse, ive contaminated the beer with sterilsation solution that's left in FV when fermenting... It was a no rinse sterilisation solution (chemipro oxi) and I did generally rinse before boiling but I'm just wondering if this could be the issue?

I am either thinking something to do with your sanitiser or a bacterial infection..

I think medicinal often get associated with bleach or chlorine steralisers.

It could be the hop combination being a bit overpowering, I guess leave it and see what happens, people have put here before that they thought their brew was infected but the dry hop was a bit overpowering to begin with..

Sorry I hope it works out for you and time heals.

I am either thinking something to do with your sanitiser or a bacterial infection..

I think medicinal often get associated with bleach or chlorine steralisers.

It could be the hop combination being a bit overpowering, I guess leave it and see what happens, people have put here before that they thought their brew was infected but the dry hop was a bit overpowering to begin with..

Sorry I hope it works out for you and time heals.
Yeah my first Brew tasted fine so fear you may be right about it being ruined. Did use same sanitiser for both so maybe just used too much for second one. Should I think about changing sanitiser? This was just from HBC but happy to buy another if it's less problematic...

Well you as far as I believe are not doing anything now after this is bottled for a few weeks so I woudl at least see how this one develops.. it could just be the dry hop, and see how #3 turns out in a few weeks..

There are a number of posts spread across different sites asking about chemipro-oxi. Most of them seem to come to the conclusion that it is pretty much the same stuff as the oxi cleaner you get in pound shops, but obviously for a lot more than a pound! There is also talk of it leaving residue, after tastes, and questions about its efficacy as a sanitiser/steriliser.

FWIW I clean all my stuff with cheapo oxi clean, then rinse, then starsan (which, given the dilution rate and it can be reused) works out a lot cheaper.

Interesting, I hope that first Brew isn't ruined by using chemipro on the bottles... (on another note, do I need to use sanitiser if I oven at 150 degrees?). Anyway, just brought some star San in time to bottle #3 on the weekend... When you say re-use do you just keep the solution in a bottle until next time?

From what I've seen on here, folk oven their bottles to sterilise, so I guess no need to use anything else. I mix starsan with battery topup water from Halfords, lots of folk use Ashbeck bottled water. Once I've starsan drowned everything, I funnel whatever is left back into the container ready to be used again. The best thing with starsan is a spray bottle of it gets everything covered, including up inside my fv tap once I've taken a sample.

Id firstly look into you water quality when doing your mash.. this is usually as a result of chlorines added to water.. Try leaving your water overnight to leach off any residual calories before your brew day.. The other possibility is an infection. Make sure your sanitisers are also chlorine free.

cheers

Grainer

You don't need to sanitise your bottles after ovening them....but I do because I'm a bit of a belt and braces man. I oven them then put a little cling film cap on them to keep dust out. Then on bottling day I just give them a quick blast of star san using a bottle rinser

Id firstly look into you water quality when doing your mash.. this is usually as a result of chlorines added to water.. Try leaving your water overnight to leach off any residual calories before your brew day.. The other possibility is an infection. Make sure your sanitisers are also chlorine free.

cheers

Grainer

I'm using Ashbeck water so I'm thinking is shouldn't be to do with water quality. Done quite a bit of reading about Chemipro-Oxi and doesn't look like its getting a good time... I just hope I haven't wasted three batches by using it and not rinsing...

Many years ago I used VWP and it was responsible for perhaps the only beer I ever ruined. Not sufficient rinsing I think. I now use a non-brand Oxi-Clean equivalent, and sanitise with StarSan. Love the combination. The Oxi-clean gets everything squeaky clean, and the StarSan sanitises in under 2 minutes; no forward planning needed.

I use filtered water for immediate StarSan use in some volume, and distilled water for the spray gun. The combination is so handy and possibly the cheapest solution out there.

Good luck with the brew.

Latest posts

Back