Medium Attenuating Yeast Recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghillie

Landlord.
Reaction score
Morning gents,

An avid US-05 user which fits the bulk of most of my brews. Also like liquid yeasts, although infrequency of brewing certain styles can leave the yeast sat for a long time, making it uneconomical to increase yeast viability through multiple step starters. Because of the latter, will focus on dried yeast in this instance.

As much as US-05 is great, it truly is a monster. All of my brews ending up 1.008 - 1.010 even when mashing high up the range ~68C. Brewed a NEIPA recently which I had intended to finish around 1.015, mashed at 68C - but it's come down to 1.009 so drier than intended. I used US-05 because it was at hand and my order from BrewUK hadn't arrived on time...

So I was wondering what yeast(s) you guys are using with a lower attenuation (<80%) to keep FG slightly higher?

Due to the nature of my job (away from home) pulling the beer off the yeast early isn't an option as I'm rarely there when it's fermenting. Regardless, US-05 is near FG after 3-4 days in my experience, so the beer wouldn't be great if pulled off the yeast so quickly.

Cheers.

Used my first MJ yeast for a wee heavy and was impressed with it. Will have a look at the rest of their range.

Cheers.

I used MJ Empire in a Victorian IPA and it was cracking. It's finished at 1012° with a mash at 65° C. I mashed fairly low because I was using Chevallier malt. I think a more modern malt, mashed at 68° would result in a higher finishing gravity.

Try adding about 4C to your usual mash temperature. That's the only way I've managed to persuade any yeast that I use to attenuate less than 80+%, regardless of what the manufacturer has written on the packet.

Latest posts

Back