Mega Hopped IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedMag

Reaction score
Used a base of the Punk IPA recipe with a few tweaks as IMO opinion it's nowhere near as good as it used to be. I'll post the recipe later as not got it too hand. Good brew day hop smells were unreal. SG came out at 1061 so over the moon with that. Gonna be a hop filled proper brew! Few pics below featuring the boyos alien as he said he'd help when he went to bed haha :)

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_6222.jpg
    Copy of IMG_6222.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_6222.jpg
    IMG_6222.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_6217.jpg
    IMG_6217.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_6218.jpg
    IMG_6218.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_6220.jpg
    IMG_6220.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_6221.jpg
    IMG_6221.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_6223.jpg
    IMG_6223.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 126
Just an update the FV is going bererk haha! Sat at 19 degrees in the ferm fridge and all I can hear is huge bubbles every second! Smell is incredible still got high hopes! :)

Can only imagine how good the smell must be.

The brew dog recipe PDF contains two recipes for punk - the old one (pre 2010 from memory) and the new one. The old one didn't have any dry hop which was interesting. Is the old one still not right?

I think the old one is way better than the new stuff being pumped out in spoons etc! I've took the base recipe and I'm playing with the hops, I want it to be cloudy and blow your head off instead of crystal clear and slightly hopped as it is currently :)

Yea I don't mind cloudy hoppy beer as it tells me it's going to kick balls

I doubt I'll bitter the next one as much though
I now realise why late hops are best
I may try a 45 min boil and the first additions at 30mins

Yeah I went heavy on the hops all the way through! Think the Dry hop is really going to balance out the bitterness with some kick **** aroma too! All about trial and error and flavour preference :D

Yeah I went heavy on the hops all the way through! Think the Dry hop is really going to balance out the bitterness with some kick **** aroma too! All about trial and error and flavour preference :D
Well it doesn't help strengthen the argument home brew is cheaper

I've used the Hop Schedule off the DIY Brewdog for the new version of Punk IPA circa 2010. I couldn't get a hold of a couple of the hop varities in time so I used alternates but below is the schedule on there. I upped everything by 2.5g you know just to round it off :p As you can see it's going to be a canny big dry hop as well!

Chinook 20 Start Bitter
Ahtanum 12.5 Start Bitter
Chinook 20 Middle Flavour
Ahtanum 12.5 Middle Flavour
Chinook 27.5 End Flavour
Ahtanum 12.5 End Flavour
Simcoe 12.5 End Flavour
Nelson Sauvin 12.5 End Flavour
Chinook 47.5 Dry Hop Aroma
Ahtanum 37.5 Dry Hop Aroma
Simcoe 37.5 Dry Hop Aroma
Nelson Sauvin 20 Dry Hop Aroma
Cascade 37.5 Dry Hop Aroma
Amarillo 10 Dry Hop Aroma

I've used the Hop Schedule off the DIY Brewdog for the new version of Punk IPA circa 2010. I couldn't get a hold of a couple of the hop varities in time so I used alternates but below is the schedule on there. I upped everything by 2.5g you know just to round it off :p As you can see it's going to be a canny big dry hop as well!

Chinook 20 Start Bitter
Ahtanum 12.5 Start Bitter
Chinook 20 Middle Flavour
Ahtanum 12.5 Middle Flavour
Chinook 27.5 End Flavour
Ahtanum 12.5 End Flavour
Simcoe 12.5 End Flavour
Nelson Sauvin 12.5 End Flavour
Chinook 47.5 Dry Hop Aroma
Ahtanum 37.5 Dry Hop Aroma
Simcoe 37.5 Dry Hop Aroma
Nelson Sauvin 20 Dry Hop Aroma