Mesh strainer basket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't suppose you have anything over where you use your boiler that you can attach a pully to at all? If so, Brew Monk do a pully for their grain basket that would probably make life a bit easier for you.

After struggling with grain bags for a long time, I feel your pain. Hoisting them out, trying to get a trivet on top of my boiler to rest it on, then trying to tie the top of the bag and tight so the bag drained nicely and grain didn't pour out everywhere.... Fun times, not.

Don't suppose you have anything over where you use your boiler that you can attach a pully to at all? If so, Brew Monk do a pully for their grain basket that would probably make life a bit easier for you.

After struggling with grain bags for a long time, I feel your pain. Hoisting them out, trying to get a trivet on top of my boiler to rest it on, then trying to tie the top of the bag and tight so the bag drained nicely and grain didn't pour out everywhere.... Fun times, not.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LHXD1PK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JV1aFbTXXFPAM

That's the idea. I got the wrong company though, it's Robobrew that do one: Ratchet Pulley 3/8" Rope 113 Kg Rating

IF you have somewhere to hook one, it's a really good solution for bag or malt pipe where you are struggling I'd say. I sadly have nowhere to hook one. I have seen them hooked onto ladders before now, with the ladders forming an A over the boiler.

Thanks @AdeDunn

Don't think there's any way to mod mine to do similar but at least I know not to discount the higher end Klarstein models if I upgrade.

The down side with them is they don't have the cam locks on the recirc pipe. If you want that, and want one in stock right now, look at the ones on Royal Catering. They're all made at the same factory end of the day, and those have the cam lock recirc arm, they just don't stock the Brauheld Pro style ones (aka Coobra, aka One Concept etc) so you are stuck with the controls in the base.

Many thanks for all your responses. :hat:
I've spent hours online looking at parts, sketching stuff and comparing options and estimates. Then yesterday's brew day settled my mind (fecking mess with mash bags, colanders, incessant squeezing!).
I've treated myself to this, as I couldn't resist the deal and extras!

https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/rob...bobrew-brewzilla-35l-microbrewery-system.html
@BackToBasics, sell that Klarstein if you're not happy and get a larger unit. Or go and get some flat S hooks or flat bar from eBay to re-mount your malt pipe as Gerryjo says. Otherwise it'll just be an eternal niggle that'll curb your enthusiasm and we don't want that! Best of luck! 👍

Last edited:
I've pretty much decided that the Klarstein needs replacing. I should have got the more expensive model to start out with but, having not used an all in one system before, I wasn't sure what I was looking for and thought that the cheaper model would suffice.

There are quite a few models around the £350 mark but I think the Brewzilla may be the best bet.

I went up to the £404 mark, and plumped for the Brauheld Pro, basically as I like the controller and the externally mounted pump. Only 30 litre, but I do 14 litre batches, and brew more often and more variety, so that's big enough for me.

Had they have been in stock ANYWHERE though, I probably would have gone for a Grainfather to be honest, as by the time I'd also bought a plate chiller and fittings.... lol

@BackToBasics If it helps, then I checked out the Robobrew/Brewzilla, Klarstein Brauheld like Ade's, the BrewMonk, Royal Catering (eBay) and the Hopcat.
Both Brewzilla and Hopcat have pre-order package deals and Hopcat would have pipped it if it were not for the reviews here and elsewhere online about their poor communication and no phone number.
Happy hunting!

I wouldn't go with HopCat after what I've read about them on here either. Poor communication is something I can't tolerate.

I think it's a toss up between the Brewzilla and Brew Monk at the moment. I think the Brew Monk is the same unit as the Klarstein but under a different name which puts me off slightly. It's not going to be for a little while anyway as I've spent quite a bit on equipment the last couple of months and I'm meant to be saving for a mortgage deposit.

If I hadn't have gone with Klarstein, it would have been between Brew Monk from The Malt Miller, or either RoboBrew or BrewDevil from Angel Homebrew. At a push, the Brewolution Brewster Beacon. They all have in common that control panel in the base, and the pump hidden away underneath though (limiting how you can use it). They're basically all Gutens I believe. ACE used to be another but they went bump sadly. Klarstein have been around a while though, which is also reassuring.

Just to bring my part of this to a close...

Annual review at work went better than expected resulting in a bonus that'll allow me to get a new system and put a decent amount into the mortgage deposit.

Robobrew has been ordered. I'm going to keep the Klarstein for the time being and use it for heating sparge water.

Back