Metallic taste in red wine kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy79

Reaction score
Hi folks, I am again disappointed with my latest red wine kit. The Range Red has a very metallic taste after bottling- I was impressed with The Range White and Rose wines- Also had a sharp metal taste from a Beaverdale kit done last year.
I used VWP, and bottled a Winebuddy Pinot Grigot using all the same equipmemt a week later and first taste - just now- seems fine. What is it with the Reds? Guess I will have to stick to Whites and Rose! Any thoughts....

I don't drink red wine but can honestly say kits are rarely discussed in the forum i assume therefore decent red kits are few and far between and good ones are probably expensive.

Simon how did the wilko kit turn out i have been toying with the idea of giving one a try for a change (normally make the Rose)

It was the cab sav it was nasty for about 3 months after bottling then became quite drinkable but not really worth the hassle, I would highly recommend spending the extra on a beaverdale.

Just had a look and a brett infection can cause metallic tastes in wine. I've done loads of red wine kits and never had them metallic, though I have had it in beer. As above the Beaverdale are in a different class to winebuddy kits. I'd have a Beaverdale for the first bottle of the night, then Winebuddy for the other two, plus whatever SWMBO's having.

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried another sample of The Range Red only this time let it sit and breathe for a good half hour and it was not too bad. I guess if I leave it a few months might actually be ok. I must try the Beaverdale again, it was bottled last November so might be worth trying now.

Latest posts

Back