Milk Stout grain bill?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarenth

Reaction score
Hello Peeps!!!

I am going to do a small 10l milk stout and was wondering if this grain bill sounds any good

2.3 golden promise
0.35 chocolate
0.3 crystal 90l
0.2 roasted barley
0.1 carafa III
0.1 carapils
0.25 lactose (end of boil)

40g EKG 5.1AA 60min

mashing at 64c

fermenting with us-o5 at 18c

If you could let me know what you would change that would be great

The grain bill looks pretty good to me, though personally I'd mash a couple of degrees higher. A milk stout should have a sweetish finish.

Also, again this is personal preference, but I like a more characterful yeast for a stout, Windsor works well.

I would go with Steve, a couple degrees higher in the mash which will not only help the sweetness but give the body more feel too

Just doing the mash and missed my temp. It has been sitting at 62c for 15 mins and I have just raised it to 64c. I think this one might be a bit too dry but I can perhaps add more lactose to level this out?

unfortunately I do not have any other yeast than us-05. Just broke my hydrometer :doh: so im popping down to Wilko maybe they will have their Nottingham yeast in stock....

Personally i like flaked barley in my stouts and like the other chaps say mash higher 67c. You can tone down the bitterness by cold steeping the dark malts but dunno if you really need crystal if your using lactose. Heard some people say you should not but crystal in a Stout but i have and it came out really good.

Most of my Stouts are based around this;
70% Maris
20% flaked barley
10% roasted barley( or substitute some for choc)
add lactose to taste.

White Labs WLP004 is a decent stout yeast. I didn't enjoy any of mine until i tried this.

Hello Peeps!!!

I am going to do a small 10l milk stout and was wondering if this grain bill sounds any good

2.3 golden promise

0.35 chocolate

0.3 crystal 90l

0.2 roasted barley

0.1 carafa III

0.1 carapils

0.25 lactose (end of boil)

40g EKG 5.1AA 60min

mashing at 64c

fermenting with us-o5 at 18c

If you could let me know what you would change that would be great

I'm with the rest of them. Other questions would be

1) what is the carapils going to give your recipe?
2) defo mash higher. 66 > 67 is recommended
3) a good English ale yeast would really bring this recipe to life
4) I would look at a load more hops. Even if you just keep it single with the EKG don't be afraid to go heavier. You'll need more bitterness than you think in a sour/porter.

Your sucked into the AG now. There's no escape [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would just go with a higher % of caramel malts alongside dextrose. What about the salt? Would you add this is at bottling stage? Wild beers millionaire is lovely so I too would like to recreate an example.

I would just go with a higher % of caramel malts alongside dextrose. What about the salt? Would you add this is at bottling stage? Wild beers millionaire is lovely so I too would like to recreate an example.

I was reading a recipe last night that added the salt to the boil. If you add it at bottling would it dissolve?

I guess you could boil it in a bit of water. Alternatively rack it to secondary and then add it? I guess it's a tough balancing act to get the right amount of saltiness.

When making a gose the salt is usually added after fermentation, somewhere around 0.5 g/L might be a good starting point for you.

Latest posts

Back