Milton Sterilising Fluid.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebrew

Reaction score
Hi as a beginner I was wondering if using Milton fluid to sterilse equipment is OK and if it is, do you need to rinse it off. I've been told to use this but reading the directions on the bottles it reads no need to rinse. Surly this will kill the yeast?

I'd definately rinse it off - unless you like bleachy smells in your brews :lol:

If you want a no rinse sanitiser, look no further than Videne - ask you local chemist for some - Videne antiseptic - dilute to 1.5 ml per litre of water, spray on, drain excess off, and go! So easy, and incredibly cheap :thumb:

+ 1 with above.

Next time though I would post in the correct forum, not the introduction forum. You will probably get fuller / quicker responses that way (not saying your response was slow or inadequate BigYin) :thumb:

However Milton can be used as a steriliser, soak your fv and demi jons in. But as BY says, give it a rinse out before use

I use it (well, the cheaper version of milton you can get in supermarkets or poundland etc) anf find it great. It's cheap and I leave it in a lidded bucket for upto a week, for whenever needed. It can be used as a water sanitiser, so won't do you any harm, but it can inhibit the yeast if it's not rinsed off properly and as BigYin said it will leave the taste in your brew. I find it takes a couple of rinses to wash off properly, but I can cope with that!

I used Milton tablets on my first brew and it was absolutely fine. As others say just make sure you give things a good rinse, I think i must have missed one of my bottles and it had a horrible chemical taste to it (all the others were lovely!)

Thanks for all the advice, I thought I might have to rinse it off but didn't think about the taste it may leave! Sorry about posting in the wrong forum, still alot to learn but enjoying each step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back