Milton Sterilising Fluid.

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Discussion' started by bluebrew, Sep 16, 2012.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Sep 16, 2012 #1

bluebrew

bluebrew

bluebrew

Hi as a beginner I was wondering if using Milton fluid to sterilse equipment is OK and if it is, do you need to rinse it off. I've been told to use this but reading the directions on the bottles it reads no need to rinse. Surly this will kill the yeast?

2. Sep 16, 2012 #2

BigYin

BigYin

BigYin

Regular.

I'd definately rinse it off - unless you like bleachy smells in your brews :lol:

If you want a no rinse sanitiser, look no further than Videne - ask you local chemist for some - Videne antiseptic - dilute to 1.5 ml per litre of water, spray on, drain excess off, and go! So easy, and incredibly cheap :thumb:

3. Sep 16, 2012 #3

joe1002

joe1002

joe1002

Landlord.

+ 1 with above.

Next time though I would post in the correct forum, not the introduction forum. You will probably get fuller / quicker responses that way (not saying your response was slow or inadequate BigYin) :thumb:

4. Sep 16, 2012 #4

BigYin

BigYin

BigYin

Regular.

fair point Joey :cheers:

I've moved it to the beer brewing discussions for further comment :thumb:

5. Sep 17, 2012 #5

piddledribble

piddledribble

piddledribble

Landlord.

However Milton can be used as a steriliser, soak your fv and demi jons in. But as BY says, give it a rinse out before use

6. Sep 17, 2012 #6

bobsbeer

bobsbeer

bobsbeer

Have a read of this Topic. It gives a good explanation for nearly all the cleaners/sanitisers.

7. Sep 17, 2012 #7

Gayle

Gayle

Gayle

Landlord.

I use it (well, the cheaper version of milton you can get in supermarkets or poundland etc) anf find it great. It's cheap and I leave it in a lidded bucket for upto a week, for whenever needed. It can be used as a water sanitiser, so won't do you any harm, but it can inhibit the yeast if it's not rinsed off properly and as BigYin said it will leave the taste in your brew. I find it takes a couple of rinses to wash off properly, but I can cope with that!

8. Sep 17, 2012 #8

JimmyB78

JimmyB78

JimmyB78

Regular.

I used Milton tablets on my first brew and it was absolutely fine. As others say just make sure you give things a good rinse, I think i must have missed one of my bottles and it had a horrible chemical taste to it (all the others were lovely!)

9. Sep 17, 2012 #9

bluebrew

bluebrew

bluebrew

Thanks for all the advice, I thought I might have to rinse it off but didn't think about the taste it may leave! Sorry about posting in the wrong forum, still alot to learn but enjoying each step.