Minch Hook Head Irish Pale Malt 4-6 EBC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smileyr8

Impressive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used Minch Hook Head Irish Pale Malt 4-6 EBC, I have just purchased a 25kg bag.
I have just visited the link and it talks about sea salt crystals being formed on the grain and to be honest it does not sound overly appealing.

I won't be brewing with this for couple of weeks so will report back then but in the mean time does anyone have any experience?

Ah, I see. I haven't previosly come across the hook head variety or the sea mist/salt thing before

I will be honest, I did not do any research until after it arrived today, previous batches of Minch Pale have been good so I expect no less of this. Looking at the Minch site the original Pale Ale Malt no longer appears to be available (maybe its seasonal) but the malt was described on The Home Brew Company website as "specifically tailored by our maltsters for the needs of the craft brewer" and "reserved for our craft brewer customers" I hope I have not been caught out by fantastic sales spiel, maybe it is the original Pale Ale Malt re-marketed and re-badged.

I will be honest, I did not do any research until after it arrived today, previous batches of Minch Pale have been good so I expect no less of this. Looking at the Minch site the original Pale Ale Malt no longer appears to be available (maybe its seasonal) but the malt was described on The Home Brew Company website as "specifically tailored by our maltsters for the needs of the craft brewer" and "reserved for our craft brewer customers" I hope I have not been caught out by fantastic sales spiel, maybe it is the original Pale Ale Malt re-marketed and re-badged.

I think it's a area thing rather than a the original pale beern re-marketed. The speil on the original pale ale bit says "Minch have 600 growers that grow barley in areas from Laois, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow, Carlow, Offaly and Kilkenny", whereas the hook head stuff says, "exclusively grown in the Ring of Hook Peninsula, Co Wexford"
So Imagine that the general minch malt is malt from all areas brought into their malting plants in Co.Kildere and mixed together to be malted. Whereas the hook head malt is exclusively from Ring of Hook Co. Wexford

Hi Smileyr8,I purchased a 25kg bag in August crushed as I don't have a mill.I bought it to experiment as it was my first time with AG and as an armature where brewing is concerned I have had no issues with it at all.Currently requiring a new bag and will definitely buy it again although I would like to try other base malts.

Sent from my ALE-L21

Ok I used some of this malt today, roughly 50% of of the pale malt bill (using the end of the previous bag), I am not sure what has actually gone on here but I hit 95% efficency I had been hitting high 88% - 92% maybe my technique is getting close to perfect. I had a little taste of the wort off the hydrometer after taking and everything tasted fine (nothing salty).

Back