Mini Beer Cellar in the garage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jammybstard

Reaction score
Hi all
This old pit is under the floor of my garage. I've never really considered it any use but I did occur to me the other day that it might be a good place to age beer or even store it at cellar temp over the summer. So I put a max/min thermometer in there over the last week and it's been pretty stable 11 - 13 'c and that's with a steel lid. I recon with a an insulated lid it could be even more stable. What do you think? worth the trouble?

Attachments

• 20200508_153406.jpg
    20200508_153406.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 73
Hi all
This old pit is under the floor of my garage. I've never really considered it any use but I did occur to me the other day that it might be a good place to age beer or even store it at cellar temp over the summer. So I put a max/min thermometer in there over the last week and it's been pretty stable 11 - 13 'c and that's with a steel lid. I recon with a an insulated lid it could be even more stable. What do you think? worth the trouble?
Did you use the pit for this in the end? I've just bought a house that has an inspection pit in the garage, so was thinking of doing the same thing.

Hi all
Absolutely worth the trouble. If you can keep a constant coolish temperature in there throughout the summer you're laughing.
You've made me think of something: my garage is built on a slope so there's more back wall than there is front. The builder has made a concrete-lined "tunnel" under the floor which runs the whole width of the garage for storing ladders and the like. I'm going to put a max/min thermometer in there and see what turns up. Might be a useful space in the summer.

Back