Mini Keg Advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris17

Reaction score
I recently saved up a bit of cash to buy myself a Growler Werks Ukeg 128 from Get 'er Brewed (photo below), as sort of an intro to kegging. Anyway, after a week of waiting for the email to say it had been dispatched I called them to ask what was going on, only to be told they didn't have it in stock anymore, but hadn't bothered to tell me/refund me/send the rest of my order (I was fuming). They've now given me a refund, so I'm looking for alternatives.

1596123472844.png

The main benefits of this for me were; the small size (I only do 10L brews at the moment and would like to be able to bottle more than half); the insulating outer walls which keep it cool; and how nice it looks! I recently built a pallet bar for my back garden, hence the last point! The main reason I was looking to get into kegging was the ability to force carb my beers so I can drink them quicker!

Anyway, I've been looking around and seen a few mini keg set ups although I don't fully understand how they work, so would be grateful if anyone could explain exactly what components I would need?

Also, the minimum size that seems to be available seems to be 5L which is just slightly too big. Would it be an issue if I did not fill the mini keg completely?

Finally if anyone knows another similar product that looks as cool as the Ukeg then please let me know!! :laugh8:

There are 2L minikegs available. Look at eBay

You also need a CO2 injector/tap. Kegs can be filled and stored in the fridge with a blanking cap fitted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Keg...tap-ball-lock-regulator-co2-push/332315929236
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2L-Mini-...et-Pressurized-Home-Beer-Brewing/223944108662
just two examples; first has disconnects which make it more expensive

I have this and am very happy with it https://smile.amazon.co.uk/BACOENG-Pressurized-Growler-Kegerator-Regulator/dp/B072C26ZFV

I bought a second keg without the tap. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HBW6LM7/ref=twister_B07HBS3MC1

different makes all seem to be compatible

Last edited:
You don't need to fill them to rated capacity. But if it's only half full, you risk air affecting the beer. I often fill to about 80% capacity but that is from a pressure barrel and I let the foam overflow the keg to purge all air. (The foam is beer and CO2 bubbles) You can lay these kegs down sideways if that helps to fit in the fridge and you can also unscrew the handles. The BacoEng one I linked to has a spring-return on the handle which helps prevent accidentally knocking the tap open.

I'd recommend getting a setup with disconnects just in case you do later decide to cornies etc.
I went the other way, starting with a 19L corny, then a 9.5L corny, then a 5L mini keg, and all use the same gas and liquid fittings making it super convenient. I am looking for a 2L keg now as they'll fit in the kitchen fridge.

Cheers for the help guys. I’m thinking I’m going to go for this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Keg...rny-tap-ball-lock-regulator-co2-/332315950421

You also need a CO2 injector/tap. Kegs can be filled and stored in the fridge with a blanking cap fitted.

What do you mean by a blanking cap? Just had a quick google and I’m not sure which one is correct!! Isn’t it possible to just leave the tap and injector fitted to store in the fridge?? I do have a fermentation fridge that I can use to cool and store a decent sized keg in, as I doubt they will last very long once kegged and carbonated!! 😂

Also, if I attach a 16g co2 cartridge, would that be sufficient to force carbonate 4l of beer?? I need to read up on exactly how force carbonating works, but would appreciate an answer to this because I’d like to get the mini keg ordered ASAP.

Last edited:
The cap is if you have more kegs than taps. Yes, you can leave the tap fitted in the fridge if there is room.
A 16g CO2 bulb will carbonate 4L.

Last edited:
Cheers for the help guys. Just bought the 4L one I linked to earlier!!

Slightly off topic but I have noticed lots of online shops not listing stuff as out of stock, you but it and then after several weeks of waiting they finally tell you "oh yeah, sorry that's out of stock". But of course they have your money now and you have to wait for ages to get it back or for them to get the product back in stock. A worrying trend in online shopping I fear!

Slightly off topic but I have noticed lots of online shops not listing stuff as out of stock, you but it and then after several weeks of waiting they finally tell you "oh yeah, sorry that's out of stock". But of course they have your money now and you have to wait for ages to get it back or for them to get the product back in stock. A worrying trend in online shopping I fear!
Interesting. I've only had this from one supplier (BrewUK). The other four suppliers I have used recently have been fine and all delivered within 5 working days (but mostly within two days).

I ordered some red and white grape juice from Health Pharm (great name!) they sent the red, but are waiting for the white; so they will pay the postage twice. And they keep me informed so kudos to them.

Interesting. I've only had this from one supplier (BrewUK). The other four suppliers I have used recently have been fine and all delivered within 5 working days (but mostly within two days).

I must say, I was very impressed with the Malt Miller. Next Day Delivery from them (without paying extra) last Saturday meant that I could brew on Sunday and hopefully should be ready just in time for when I wanted it!

Anyway, I received my 4L mini keg yesterday and I'm very happy with it. I have watched a few videos and done a bit of reading and still don't fully understand how force carbonating works, but just going to give it a go and see what happens tomorrow!

My only final question is how you sanitize the PVC tubing and the tap (the bit the beer will be getting pulled through to serve). I'm struggling to find any info on this?!

I pull the tubing off and soak in a jug. The tap I just rinse, especially if I'm reusing it immediately. When the tubing gets discoloured, I renew it. Silicone tubing seems to stay clear loger than pvc

I must say, I was very impressed with the Malt Miller. Next Day Delivery from them (without paying extra) last Saturday meant that I could brew on Sunday and hopefully should be ready just in time for when I wanted it!

Anyway, I received my 4L mini keg yesterday and I'm very happy with it. I have watched a few videos and done a bit of reading and still don't fully understand how force carbonating works, but just going to give it a go and see what happens tomorrow!

My only final question is how you sanitize the PVC tubing and the tap (the bit the beer will be getting pulled through to serve). I'm struggling to find any info on this?!
Yeah, MM are excellent, as are BKT and B2B.
In terms of sanitising the tap+tube, I would put sanitiser of choice in the keg(no need to fill it), add CO2, and dispense as though it's beer.

Why did my pvc tubing go milky/ cloudy from clear? It was in the beer leftovers that turned to vinegar.

Why did my pvc tubing go milky/ cloudy from clear? It was in the beer leftovers that turned to vinegar.

pvc will often go cloudy when it’s been in contact with sanitiser etc.

Bit late in the day but I do similar size brews to the OP - my solution is a 9.5L corny, force carb the lot and bottle what doesn’t get drunk before the next brew is ready to carb.
You could force carb the lot and then fill bottles and mini keg when ready.

Out of interest does anyone know how universal the spear lids are? I.e if you buy a mini keg/growler from one brand how likely is it that lid will fit another unrelated keg?

Out of interest does anyone know how universal the spear lids are? I.e if you buy a mini keg/growler from one brand how likely is it that lid will fit another unrelated keg?
Interesting. I did find an image and somewhere there was a thread out in the interweb that had the thread designation. Though I would have thought you would need to get users to measure threads etc to check compatibility.

Attachments

• 1BEC4C14-E23E-4D8C-A924-BAACAFABCB14.jpeg
    1BEC4C14-E23E-4D8C-A924-BAACAFABCB14.jpeg
    16.3 KB · Views: 103
Back