Mini keg conditioning time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciaran12s

Regular.
Reaction score
Has anyone found mini kegs take a little longer than bottles to condition?

I had a sample of a 6 week bottled ipa t'other night and found the grassiness from prolonged dryhopping had conditioned out. I tapped a mini keg of the same stuff last night but found it still very grassy. I sank it anyway to save it going off.

I'd never given a thought before. Cornies are 19l and pretty quick to condition though are they not? Brewers friend suggests 3 days after force carbing.

Ah well, I'll not be using cornies any time soon and now know to leave mini kegs a little longer, particularly if there is grassiness or other flavours needing conditioning out.

I'd never given a thought before. Cornies are 19l and pretty quick to condition though are they not? Brewers friend suggests 3 days after force carbing.

Ah well, I'll not be using cornies any time soon and now know to leave mini kegs a little longer, particularly if there is grassiness or other flavours needing conditioning out.
cornies are forced carbonated whilst mini kegs are not

I understood that conditioning in bulk was meant to bevfaster so for that reason on the occasions I've bottled some and minikeg'd some I've started on the minikegs first, never done side by side test though.
From what you and myqui are saying maybe I should start on the bottles first.

Maybe that's the case normally, i dont know. Ive never used cornies and only had a few mini kegs, all of those were fine from the keg and bottle. But maybe for mellowing out undesirable flavours it works different.

Back