Mini Keg Usage, Maintenance & Party Star Deluxe Part 1

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The keg. Its probably going to distend with that much sugar in it, perhaps (trying not to sound too dramatic) even explode. If you've got a garage or some such I'd put them in there or may ber a carboard box with plenty of newspaper underneath if not

I'll keep a beady eye on them and let you know what happens! They are in a cold garage at present. I don't expect to touch the beer till December, and will let you know the results.

Great thread, thanks for the advice and step by step guide. I'm really keen to get some mini kegs and the party star now!

Couple of questions:

- Doesnt the vasaline get into the beer if your putting it on the red tap?

- have you ever dry hopped in the mini kegs? If so foes the party star still work ok?

- how long does the beer last once you've tapped into the keg?

- what temp do you store the unopened kegs at?

Thanks

Eventually got round to tapping my first keg with the party star tap. Didn't go well,all I got was a keg full of foam, gutted to say the least.

Keg had been in the fridge for best part of two months so was definitely chilled. At legging stage I added 12g of sugar, have I over primed it?

Regardless, I have another keg and assume it will be the same, gutting to waste 10litres of beer.

I sincerely hope that 12g isn't "over primed" because I've just primed three MKs with 12g each; and 12g is more or less in the middle of the recommended "10g-15g".

I have a Flexi-Tap and it has an "attenuator" (a length of solid plastic) that sits up inside the tube that delivers the beer to the tap.

I presume that the "attenuator" allows for a very gentle pressure drop as the beer flows to the tap because without the "attenuator" in place the beer comes out as 90% foam.

So your problem begs two questions:

1. Does your tap have an "attenuator"? and

2. If it does, did you remember to put it in place before you fitted the tap?

Eventually got round to tapping my first keg with the party star tap. Didn't go well,all I got was a keg full of foam, gutted to say the least.

Keg had been in the fridge for best part of two months so was definitely chilled. At legging stage I added 12g of sugar, have I over primed it?

Regardless, I have another keg and assume it will be the same, gutting to waste 10litres of beer.

Does it not settle down in the glass? I primed my current keg with around 20g's of table Sugar and though it comes out a bit lively, it only takes a minute or two of waiting time.

No atenuator with the party star tap, pretty basic system.

Just checked a few photos on You-Tube and I think that the white plastic bit that fits down the centre of the delivery tube is meant to act as an "attenuator".

If it's not a lack of attenuation then other reasons I can think of are:

1. The delivery tube wasn't properly screwed on. If this was the case then CO2 from the top of the MK would mix with beer being brought from the bottom of the MK to create a foam.

2. Obviously, if there was five litres of liquid in the keg to start with then five litres of liquid must be delivered at sometime. If no liquid was delivered then either it evaporated, Paul Daniels came back to work his magic or someone forgot to fill the MK. :whistle: :whistle:

My beer seems to evaporate at a rapid rate whether it is in MKs, the KK or bottles so I go with the evaporation theory! :thumb: :thumb:

This has probably been asked, but to save me scrolling through all the threads I'll ask it again. Does the dipstick of the tap need to be lubed up prior to inserting in into the keg? And if so, will vaseline do the trick?

Cheers

This has probably been asked, but to save me scrolling through all the threads I'll ask it again. Does the dipstick of the tap need to be lubed up prior to inserting in into the keg? And if so, will vaseline do the trick?

Cheers

Oldish question but as a new member (have been lurking for a while, more so recently with mini kegs in mind) I'll answer this for anyone else trawling the interwebs in the future...

Depends on the bung in question, generally not required IMO but Vaseline shouldn't harm anything.

Good practice to add a blob at the top where the Party Star touches the valve just to be sure of a good seal, I then use the minimal residue on my fingers to run down the dipstick (we're talking a really small amount) but is easily enough for any bung I've used.

Never had any isses/tainting of flavour with Vaseline, but do always ensure use is minimal in submerged areas (not convinced using more would be any worse but I'm a worrier!)

Oh, and also thanks OP/forum.

These posts and subsequent replies have been a really useful source of info, forced Santa to bring me the Party Star Deluxe (PSD) this year!

Currently working through every type of brewery/Supermarket/import 5l keg valve to see how they work with the PSD - is there a master list of valve types(/brands) with pic guide for applying the PSD (valve in situ) plus how to remove for home brew for each?

If not, I'll give it a bash when I get a chance, have gotten it working in situ and removed with 3 different valves so far...

A heads up for anyone who missed them there are links to parts 2, 3 and 4 at the bottom of post one in this thread. :thumb:

Hi all,

I use 5L mini kegs with an hand pump, which I like and always rinse after use, wash with hot water then store with the plastic cap until I need to re-fill. Great for the weekend.

Nice post I use 5 Litre paty kegs exclusively never use chlorine based cleaners I do use an hand pump when I will finish the ale in 2 days a Co2 tap if 4- days which does not occur very often.

I only use LME, 2-3 types of hops ,some good yeast and filtered water in my old brulution boiler happy days.

May all of your brews be great

Back