mini kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azzda

Reaction score
hi guys, i am a new brewer only done a few brews with brew kits and i was look at getting a mini keg ideally 5l or i could go up to 10l.

The thing is i don't really want to spend over £100 (ideally less) on it, i seen a few for sale quite cheep but either i don't like the look of the website or they want me to buy a few hundred of them, can anyone recommend a website and price range. also what do you guy think about buying second hand to save money?

keg1.jpg
this is what i was hoping to get i like the look and it looks like it wants to pour a proper pint. i know its a few 100 for a setup but i think you can get them cheaper.

keg 2.jpg
i was avoiding this style because i had a bad experience with the supermarket beer with one of them. I was hoping to hear from people who have used them. i'd rather just bottle them if it can't pour well. but if it save money and dose the job i might consider it.

any wise words are appreciated.

I recycled the mini kegs below on your picture and I made 10 litres of Cwtch and filled two. The beer was undrinkable and got tipped. However it was an extract brew so I'll try again. I've got 3 empty but two have the rubber seal in the can and I can't get them out. Hope it doesn't affect the beer.

i was avoiding this style because i had a bad experience with the supermarket beer with one of them. I was hoping to hear from people who have used them. i'd rather just bottle them if it can't pour well. but if it save money and dose the job i might consider it. any wise words are appreciated.
I used the same brewferm ones with the party star deluxe kit and they were ok to start with but after around 8 months the tap was leaking and I was getting through the 16g C02 bulbs like they were going out of fashion AVOID

two have the rubber seal in the can and I can't get them out. Hope it doesn't affect the beer.
Done this with one once an Adnams Ghost Ship keg and I was a bit worried but it didn't effect it one bit, you'll be fine.

I've used both types, the type your avoiding, they are a good way to get started in my opinion, especially if you like low carbonated real ale styles as they are literally a mini cask, I was able to extend the life of the beer in them by just using the tap initially then once the pressure drops opening up the top valve, at this point your beer is exposed to oxygen and has a limited life.
The other type, much better should last a lifetime, you can carbonate to higher levels and they work well in conjunction with Cornelius kegs if you ever progress to these, only drawback is cost and volume, how much do you intend brewing in one go?

I recycled the mini kegs below on your picture and I made 10 litres of Cwtch and filled two. The beer was undrinkable and got tipped. However it was an extract brew so I'll try again. I've got 3 empty but two have the rubber seal in the can and I can't get them out. Hope it doesn't affect the beer.
Hi CC. Getting the bung out is a three-part job. lift the tap ring and hook a screwdriver in the ring and pull up to separate the top half of the red tap from the bottom half, push the bottom half of the tap into the can, wedge the screwdrived under one side of the rubber seal and hoik it out. Don't worry about damaging the rubber, protect the edge of the hole in the can if you can. Rinse the can thoroughly and wash the bottom half of the tap out through the bung hole. Sorry if you already new that, I was wandering how you managed to get the seal pushed into the can.
All the talk of cans makes me think of getting a canning machine so that I can drink what I can and what I can't I can can.

I used to use the bottom type and loved them for a while but gave up about a year or so ago because I was finding them difficult to clean and the inner lining was prone to splitting/corroding so I’d regularly end up with a keg full of foam.

In total I probably spent as much on them as I would have if I’d gone for the other type of mini keg because I must have gone through about 15 kegs, had the Partystar tap and also a Klarstein dispenser but the tube broke on the latter and I’ve not been able to find a relacement.

Last edited:
I've used both types, the type your avoiding, they are a good way to get started in my opinion, especially if you like low carbonated real ale styles as they are literally a mini cask, I was able to extend the life of the beer in them by just using the tap initially then once the pressure drops opening up the top valve, at this point your beer is exposed to oxygen and has a limited life.
The other type, much better should last a lifetime, you can carbonate to higher levels and they work well in conjunction with Cornelius kegs if you ever progress to these, only drawback is cost and volume, how much do you intend brewing in one go?
That's exactly how I use them. Has anyone any experience of Dark Farm kegs, by the way?

how much do you intend brewing in one go?
Well I do a 23l batch the plan is to do one after another if I have the time and bottles (or mini keg) I do want it to be fizzy as I'm doing larger atm.

Also If i buy the mini keg is it likely that any parts i buy separate will fit. And can all the pieces be cleaned with the usual sterilising process I do with bottles etc.

Well I do a 23l batch the plan is to do one after another if I have the time and bottles (or mini keg) I do want it to be fizzy as I'm doing larger atm.
Wouldn't you be better off going straight for cornelius kegs? No personal experience, I must confess, but you'd get most of a batch in one of those. When you consider that you're going to spend at least £60 getting 4 x Ghost Ship from Tesco...

That's exactly how I use them. Has anyone any experience of Dark Farm kegs, by the way?
I started getting interested in the Dark Farm kegs so interested in your replies, although the fact my garden strimmer packed in at the weekend has put on hold any plans to invest.

If you do think you'll eventually end up with Cornelius kegs it would be worth getting a mini keg with Cornelius type fittings.
IMG_20200512_141628.jpg

Wouldn't you be better off going straight for cornelius kegs?
Problem is I actually do want bottles. I was think it would be good for gatherings. When that becomes possible again.

If you do think you'll eventually end up with Cornelius kegs it would be worth getting a mini keg with Cornelius type fittings.View attachment 25822
Not really sure how far I will take kegging but I get the impression they are better anyway. Let's say I seen one for 75 pound with everything included 5l. Would it be a good deal.

Not really sure how far I will take kegging but I get the impression they are better anyway. Let's say I seen one for 75 pound with everything included 5l. Would it be a good deal.
Are you talking about the kegs from the top pic in your OP? If so £75 would be a very good deal - Darkfarm have a 5L starter kit for £145 and Brewkegtap have similar (but out of stock) for £115z

Are you talking about the kegs from the top pic in your OP? If so £75 would be a very good deal - Darkfarm have a 5L starter kit for £145 and Brewkegtap have similar (but out of stock) for £115z
Yeah but cant find it now 😐

Do you know if the 2 Ltr parts would fit a 5ltr or how would I check. Sorry I really don't know much about this. Because is seen a 2l with parts for 50 and a 5l growler for 25. Think I can use the 2l parts for a 5l?

Mabey abit more than than 25 for growler

Last edited:
Yeah but cant find it now 😐

Do you know if the 2 Ltr parts would fit a 5ltr or how would I check. Sorry I really don't know much about this. Because is seen a 2l with parts for 50 and a 5l growler for 25. Think I can use the 2l parts for a 5l?

Mabey abit more than than 25 for growler
My understanding is that the opening on the top of these are the same so one kit will do for a 2/5/10/15L

My understanding is that the opening on the top of these are the same so one kit will do for a 2/5/10/15L

Thanks I was think that was the case

Ok so think I'm best to take my time with this and mabey look more into it. Has anyone bought second hand before? (Top picture)

Screw cap, plastic spear with hose, party tap and c02 gas push. Is that a full setup. So I will just need gas?

I purchased my 3 x 5ltr mini kegs from an online shop with 4 letters ending in Bay. Also 3 x spears with Corny keg type connectors, 3 x taps and 3 mini CO2 regs. The kegs were less than £35.00 each the Spears around £19.00 each, the party type taps around £8.00 each and the mini regs around £18.00, so the whole set up £240.00 never had any issues with any of it!

I purchased my 3 x 5ltr mini kegs from an online shop with 4 letters ending in Bay. Also 3 x spears with Corny keg type connectors, 3 x taps and 3 mini CO2 regs. The kegs were less than £35.00 each the Spears around £19.00 each, the party type taps around £8.00 each and the mini regs around £18.00, so the whole set up £240.00 never had any issues with any of it!
I dont think there is a reg on the one I'm looking at on the same 4 letter site. What else will I need after this
Screw cap, plastic spear with hose, party tap and c02 gas push. Is that a full setup.

Latest posts

Back