mini kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont think there is a reg on the one I'm looking at on the same 4 letter site. What else will I need after this
It depends on what type of CO2 you use. I use a mixture on the 14g screw type mini CO2 Gas Bulbs or my Soda Stream bottle with an adapter on to screw to the Reg, the Bulbs do work our quite expensive but handy when taking your kegs somewhere else!

I have both. The stainless steel mini-kegs are far superior to the tin-plate mini-casks which were originally intended as one-trip, retail packaging and degrade with use. When the internal lining of a mini-cask fails the beer inside becomes tainted with an unpleasant metallic taste. I find the stainless steel kegs very serviceable but like the mini-casks you are cleaning them “blind”. The tin-plate, mini-casks are cheap - particularly if bought full of beer and re-used. You only need a rubber bung for the top hole and they can be primed with sugar like a bottle and gravity served when the pressure drops so you don’t have to to buy CO2 and taps etc. but they will fail after a while. If you are thinking that you may move on to corney kegs, the stainless steel mini-keg plus kit is a good first step in that direction, more expensive than mini-casks but likely to last. I suggest that you think about your CO2 source, 16g capsules are an expensive way of buying it. I use either a pub-style 6.5Kg cylinder and regulator or a Sodastream cylinder with an adapter to fit the regulator. Good luck!

I gave up on the recycled mini keg experiment, the beer tasted metallic, horrible. I tried twice used a Ghost Ship, and a Hobgoblin keg. I wanted a way of transporting small batches. Looks like i will have to go down the plastic bottle route..

Well I have decided I want a proper mini keg and not the cask. I'm think that's it's better to pay a little more for a decent tap and other bits. Would i need to decide what cylinders I want to use before buying? basically can any cylinder fit any keg? Because I planning to just keep a eye out until something comes up and I'll just get it.
Scary stuff when you have littleto no knowledge. Thanks for the info guys

Bugger! This talk has somewhat dampened my enthusiasm for my new setup that I got at Xmas :(
I'm really enjoying it just now (see pic) full of Mangrove Jacks American IPA.
However it's good to hear about future upgrade options.

Attachments

• DSC_1589.JPG
    DSC_1589.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 149
Well I have decided I want a proper mini keg and not the cask. I'm think that's it's better to pay a little more for a decent tap and other bits. Would i need to decide what cylinders I want to use before buying? basically can any cylinder fit any keg? Because I planning to just keep a eye out until something comes up and I'll just get it.
Scary stuff when you have littleto no knowledge. Thanks for the info guys
The only thing that will need to change based on your source of CO2 is how you attach your regulator. Larger regulators will usually come ready to take a standard bottle, but may not have the necessary adaptors to enable them to be hooked up to a soda stream canister or smaller CO2 bulb. You can buy aftermarket adaptors however.

Generally larger regulators are going to be more accurate than smaller ones, but will be more bulky to hefty around if you’re going to be taking your kegs out and about, so you may find a smaller regulator easier to travel with.

Bugger! This talk has somewhat dampened my enthusiasm for my new setup that I got at Xmas :(

Looks like you have a good pint and a upgrade to look forward to.😃
It looks good. How much was the setup and I wonder if any of that can be used on the other kegs.
cool so I don't have to worry untill I have my keg.

I hear you can use the party star tap with supermarket kegs. I have an empty shipyard IPA keg to try out.
That's good sure you will get plenty of use out of it then! Not to mention a reason to get a keg of beer whenever you need a keg. I don't like the way they pour from supermarkets. But I bet with that tap its probably worth ago.

I've got a 10ltr dark farm keg and really like it. I generally keg half my batch and bottle what's left, so get the best of both worlds. I saw a good deal of a 4ltr keg from China for £11. Well worth the punt and fits a demi John's worth of beer perfectly, plus the fittings are transferable. My only problem was how many little co2 capsules I went through, so upgraded to a co2 bottle.
20200515_095733.jpg

I've got a 10ltr dark farm keg and really like it. I generally keg half my batch and bottle what's left, so get the best of both worlds. I saw a good deal of a 4ltr keg from China for £11. Well worth the punt and fits a demi John's worth of beer perfectly, plus the fittings are transferable. My only problem was how many little co2 capsules I went through, so upgraded to a co2 bottle.View attachment 25963

That's basically what I am planning. I want to keg 5l and bottle the rest. Can you fill and carbonate both your kegs and just move the tap from one to the other. I think mabey you would at least need 2 regs and 2 ball locks? Just thinking if I get a 5l with parts and then a 10l down the line what else would need to get both going without having
to buy 2 full setups.

I only keg and carb 1 keg at a time. It should be possible to do both from a bottle of co2 using these as tops and a line going to both kegs
Screenshot_2020-05-15-10-49-56-1.png

You can then just disconnect the tap from one and attach it to the other

I've got a 10ltr dark farm keg and really like it. I generally keg half my batch and bottle what's left, so get the best of both worlds. I saw a good deal of a 4ltr keg from China for £11. Well worth the punt and fits a demi John's worth of beer perfectly, plus the fittings are transferable. My only problem was how many little co2 capsules I went through, so upgraded to a co2 bottle.View attachment 25963
I only keg and carb 1 keg at a time. It should be possible to do both from a bottle of co2 using these as tops and a line going to both kegs
View attachment 25964
You can then just disconnect the tap from one and attach it to the other
This is the kind of set up I’ve had my eye on.

If I go down the kegerator route I’ll have to either go to the garage every time I want to refill my glass (which involves leaving my house) or decant into a bigger container for all of my night’s beer needs.

If I do this could I have them all sitting in the garage carbonating, then detach a 5/10L keg to bring into the house from the main gas, insert a CO2 cartridge regulator and let it sit in my fridge for the weekend before returning what’s left to the garage on Sunday night and reattaching to the main gas?

That sounds feasible. You just need a mini co2 regulator with a John guest fitting to attach it to the keg. I think the only other problem is that without multiple regulators on the main gas, all the kegs would have to be carbed to the same level.

That sounds feasible. You just need a mini co2 regulator with a John guest fitting to attach it to the keg. I think the only other problem is that without multiple regulators on the main gas, all the kegs would have to be carbed to the same level.
Yeah that could be an issue depending on what I’m brewing. I mainly do IPAs, APAs and lagers/hybrids which is fine but it might be an issue for my occasional wheat beer or English pale/golden. I over carbed my last English ale and it ruined it somewhat.

With the Spear there is a CO2 release valve so you can reduce the CO2 to a level that suits your different beers. I start by setting mine at around 5psi just for serving

Kegland do a very reasonable secondary regulator which you could sit between the CO2 and each keg to individually adjust the pressure depending on what you’re drinking.

https://brewkegtap.co.uk/products/inline-secondary-regulator

Latest posts

Back