mini kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also really like the look of the 10L mini kegs from BKT and have just ordered a couple. They are a bit more expensive than some others I have seen but the quality of the welds looks very good and after reading some horror stories about certain mini kegs on one of the other forums I’d rather spend a bit more now as opposed to saving a bit but having to replace them in a year or so because they’re turning my beer black.

I also really like the look of the 10L mini kegs from BKT and have just ordered a couple.
Are they back in stock? Might need to chat (read grovel) with the wife later.

EDIT - it appears the kegs are back in stock but the Sodastream keg kits aren’t. I’ll hold off.

I've had no problems as of yet and been using them for over a year now. All in all I'm very happy with them, well worth buying.

I've got a 10ltr dark farm keg and really like it. I generally keg half my batch and bottle what's left, so get the best of both worlds. I saw a good deal of a 4ltr keg from China for £11. Well worth the punt and fits a demi John's worth of beer perfectly, plus the fittings are transferable. My only problem was how many little co2 capsules I went through, so upgraded to a co2 bottle.View attachment 25963
Ooh, I wants it!! How much was that 4litre and from where, if you don't mind?

The large one is from dark farm. The 4ltr was from amazon, shipped from China and was about £11. I have a feeling it was b grade quality at that price.

I've only used my darkfarm 5l keg once so far but rated the customer service and experience highly. Second 5l should get tapped next weekend :-) Only problem so far is I wish I could carbonate both 5l kegs at the same time. Having only one spear and tap means I can't. The other downside is I now want additional kegs, ideally a kegerator setup... costs are creeping up ashock1
_20200515_183324.JPG

I agree that the service provided by Gareth (dark farm) was exceptional.
Yes, almost instant helpful responses to emails, patiently answering all my newbie questions. Plus I ordered at the weekend, it was dispatched on Monday and with me by Tuesday lunchtime!

I've only used my darkfarm 5l keg once so far but rated the customer service and experience highly. Second 5l should get tapped next weekend :-) Only problem so far is I wish I could carbonate both 5l kegs at the same time. Having only one spear and tap means I can't. The other downside is I now want additional kegs, ideally a kegerator setup... costs are creeping up ashock1
View attachment 25994

Might be a silly question but is is possible to carb a keg with suger and put the lid on and change it for the tap when you need it. I think you might need a ball lock if it is possible

Might be a silly question but is is possible to carb a keg with suger and put the lid on and change it for the tap when you need it. I think you might need a ball lock if it is possible
My understanding is its possible, but the first pint or maybe more will have sediment in. With small kegs that may be a problem and not worth it compared to the cost of the gas. My second keg I haven't primed and with no way to vent the headspace, I'm wondering whether the beer will have suffered. Either way it's going to be difficult to compare directly, since this one's had a fortnight to condition and the other had about 14 hours!

My understanding is its possible, but the first pint or maybe more will have sediment in. With small kegs that may be a problem and not worth it compared to the cost of the gas. My second keg I haven't primed and with no way to vent the headspace, I'm wondering whether the beer will have suffered. Either way it's going to be difficult to compare directly, since this one's had a fortnight to condition and the other had about 14 hours!
So force carbonation does reduce sediment then. I'm guessing the will still be some sediment anyway? Well I was thinking if I had a 5 and a 10l so I could prim the 10l in that case.

So force carbonation does reduce sediment then. I'm guessing the will still be some sediment anyway? Well I was thinking if I had a 5 and a 10l so I could prim the 10l in that case.
Hopefully someone with experience will confirm for me, but yes, from what I've read, natural carbonation increases sediment. I think it can also become difficult to unscrew stoppers from a pressurised keg. I think you can get stoppers with release valves. Mine haven't though.

yes. You can buy caps with a relief valve that is also manually operable. I have three kegs but only two taps. I swap them over as required.

yes. You can buy caps with a relief valve that is also manually operable. I have three kegs but only two taps. I swap them over as required.
Ok that could work. So you actually open the keg before putting the tap on?

I tend to fill my kegs from my pressure barrel so they are already carbonated. I fill the keg till foam overflows and then I know all air is excluded. The keg can stay in the fridge for months. When I want to drink it, I swap the cap for a tap and inject some CO2. It's ready next day. But you could carb it in the keg just as easily. I am drinking a beer now that was in the 2L keg with no tap or added CO2 and has been like that for over a month. I put it in the pressure barrel in late January. Transferred some to keg in March.

Last edited:
I’ve just ordered a couple of 3.6l mini kegs with spear tops from China to help mop up the last of a brew session after decanting the majority into a 19l corney.
It’s been breaking my heart wasting beer. ashock1
just kegged an American Amber Ale yesterday and disposed of a good evenings worth of lock down drinking, criminal.:laugh8:

I’ve just ordered a couple of 3.6l mini kegs with spear tops from China to help mop up the last of a brew session after decanting the majority into a 19l corney.
It’s been breaking my heart wasting beer. ashock1
just kegged an American Amber Ale yesterday and disposed of a good evenings worth of lock down drinking, criminal.:laugh8:
Why not just bottle the last of it rather than dumping it? Or change the recipe to adjust your final amounts?
If there is one thing my dad taught me, it's sacrilege to waste beer!

Latest posts

Back