Mini Kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first got the kegs I cleaned them with VWP. Since then I've read some mixed messages about bleach and stainless steel and whether VWP is bleach or not. However, I think it's probably not a matter either way for the short amount of time in contact and giving a thorough rinse afterwards and suspect VWP is chlorine based and not bleach anyway.
After rinsing with water, I then used Chemsan no rinse santiser. You can connect the lid and then dispense this through the tap. The gas disconnect I just put some of the Chemsan in a spray bottle and sprayed it whilst pushing the pin down in the middle to let a bit through the valve itself.
Given the mini kegs are just 5 litres, I probably wouldn't bother too much if I was planning to keep in fridge and drink within a day or two anyway. I'd just rinse out with water. The Chemsan stuff is easy to use though and I like that you don't have to rinse it after. Very handy having some in a spray bottle in the fridge, but I think you can only keep it a few days before it wears off.
I also got some Chemisphere keg and tap spray which I just spray onto the connects before connecting them. This is lactic acid apparently.

VWP is chlorine based as I have to be careful when I use it due to my asthma (make sure I use it outside or the window is wide open).

I have 4 mini kegs and I give them a good rinse with warm water and washing up liquid (I know, I know) when the keg empties. I then rinse it out with cold water and let it air dry before replacing the cap. Before use, I clean it with an oxy-type cleaner and rinse well. I do the same with the tap and spear.

I rinse my mini kegs well on emptying, and give a few good sprays from a spray bottle of chemsan. Put the lid on and shake. I do similar with my glass bottles. Periodically I test the ph of the spray and if necessary add a little (tiny amount) more concentrate to correct it to below ph3.
Before refilling I empty the keg and put in 500ml or less of chemsan and give a good shake a few times in the half hour or so before filling.
Tap and fittings get a good rinse on disconnection and a good spray 15 minutes before reconnection.

When I first got the kegs I cleaned them with VWP.
VWP is chlorine based as I have to be careful when I use it due to my asthma
I use VWP myself, its pretty noxious when it goes up your nose so I can see it could be a problem if you have asthma. I agree that it is unlikely to be a problem with stainless due to the short contact time, I wash my stainless kettle out with it regularly and then rinse and there is no corrosion.
You can connect the lid and then dispense this through the tap.

I do the same with the tap and spear.
Tap and fittings get a good rinse on disconnection and a good spray 15 minutes before re connection.
So you can disassemble them or does rinsing them clean right through? No need to push through with CO2?

Good question and one I've wondered about myself.
The tap body comes apart and with the tap in the open position I can rinse/spray right through.
I can then spray each side of the lock. Which seems to have been sufficient. But I do sometimes push some chemsan through and will likely do so more frequently, now that having a second mini regulator will make it more convenient.

To transfer from the mini to corny - connect a tube with black disconnects at each end to beer out on both kegs,
I have all the kit now for this and about to keg my first batch this afternoon. I understand how the transfer works and did try it transferring some starsan when sanitising so as to check it over. This nicely sanitised the black to black beerline however, daft question time. How do you clean the black to black beerline of beer and how do you remove the cleaning solution? My disconnects are barbed so pulling off the hoses after each use will weaken the connection and I would worry they may blow off in use, or should I have a different connection to my disconnects?

My disconnects are JG pushfit so easier to remove the tube. However, you can simply carry on the transfer until the donor keg is empty - at that point the CO2 will start to come through the beer line and more or less clear it of the cleaning solution.

My disconnects are JG pushfit so easier to remove the tube. However, you can simply carry on the transfer until the donor keg is empty - at that point the CO2 will start to come through the beer line and more or less clear it of the cleaning solution.
Cheers, I think for the hassle factor I will get some JG pushfits. Cheers

How do you clean the black to black beerline of beer and how do you remove the cleaning solution?

I tend to use a plastic bottle fitted with a carbonation cap* to flush my lines with water, cleaner, water, and finally sanitiser. A second carbonation cap fitted to the other end of the line will make life easier here, but you can also use the pointy end of a spent CO2 cartridge to depress the pin inside the disconnect.

My disconnects are barbed so pulling off the hoses after each use will weaken the connection and I would worry they may blow off in use, or should I have a different connection to my disconnects?

You're dead right about weakening the hoses. Decent silicone hose and good barbs should be fine up to about 20 PSI, but they'll eventually give out and it will be messy. John Guest push-fit connectors are an absolutely genius invention in my opinion, right up there with fire, the wheel, and broad-spectrum antibiotics. I've only recently discovered them and my life will never be the same. 😁

* I've got stainless steel as well as the plastic carbonation caps. Both seem to be universal (fitting gas and liquid disconnects alike) but I heard somewhere that plastic are better. No idea why.

I tend to use a plastic bottle fitted with a carbonation cap* to flush my lines with water, cleaner, water, and finally sanitiser. A second carbonation cap fitted to the other end of the line will make life easier here, but you can also use the pointy end of a spent CO2 cartridge to depress the pin inside the disconnect.
Thats a great idea I must get a couple of them. Cheers

Update on my experience with the flow control disconnect - great! I kegged my Pilsner and followed all the advice on lagering etc. Took the keg to a friend's garden party last weekend, and...success. Found that opening the valve just enough to get a decent flow, but not a trickle, helped with frothing. After a couple of pours at about 5psi, all was good.

What was also a success, and a proud moment 😊, was that my mate, who doesn't really like anything other than Pilsner, though that my brew was delicious. I've got another 10L finishing fermenting right now......and another 5L Keg on its way to me! That slippery slope has well and truly been slipped on! :laugh8:

Latest posts

Back