Mini mash extract brew - partial or full volume boil?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colm89

Reaction score
I’ve brewed about 14 or 15 all grain beers to date, but having just bought a house and moved in I’m currently short of space in which to brew while we get settled (cant brew in the kitchen as it’s just been painted and extractor may as well not be there, and can’t brew outdoors as I’ve no outdoor electricity or water source for cooling).

With the above in mind, I’ve tried one extract kit which was surprisingly good (GEB experimental mosaic pale kit with the west coast yeast swapped out for whc Ragnar and brewed at 25 celcius), and am next considering a partial mash kit but am totally confused on how to approach it, so looking to those more experienced for advice.

Some guides say steep the speciality malts in ~6 litres of water for 30 mins, and just boil that with hop additions, adding DME or LME to the fermenter and topping up to 21-23 litres with cold water. Others suggest adding the extract and full volume of water and boiling the whole lot. Obviously the latter is better for killing bugs etc, but the former would drastically speed up cooling time.

What do you do and why?

Latest posts

Back