Mini Nitrogen Regulator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is not. Advice both on here and from Malt Miller is to carb with CO2 and then serve with nitro. The one variation is that MM did recommend a higher serving pressure: 30-35psi. I will experiment. My understanding is there's not much point carbonating with 70/30 gas because it's only the CO2 that creates the carbonation element and the nitro on serving provides the creaminess.
It would be good to hear your feedback if you decide to follow TMM recommendation of serving at 30-35psi. I've not got any stouts kegged at the moment to experiment with, only my latest brew - anyone ever tried dispensing a NEIPA using N2? 🤔

I just started using TMM mini reg. Got through 3 bulbs in 5 pints. I carbed to 1.5 vol CO2, about 6 psi, then upped pressure to 30psi with the nitogen reg. Should i have carbed to 30 psi? I have a stout tap.

I just started using TMM mini reg. Got through 3 bulbs in 5 pints. I carbed to 1.5 vol CO2, about 6 psi, then upped pressure to 30psi with the nitogen reg. Should i have carbed to 30 psi? I have a stout tap.
Not sure I understand what you mean. Did you not carb the beer with mixed gas (70/30 nitro/CO2)?

It should be 30/70: Put the CO2 value first, but that's only a convention so comes with minimal authority!

Reading this thread quickly I'm not sure the "physics" is getting across? Carbonating with CO2 then N2 isn't helpful. Each gas acts according to the proportion it is present ("Partial Pressure"), that means, carbonate at 35psi will result in just over 34psi of "carbonation" with nitrogen and 1psi with CO2. Well, not like it sounds, it's a mix. But the 30/70 adds up as 30psi + 70psi at absolute pressure (excludes the weight of the atmosphere on the ground, or about 14.7psi).

What that amounts to is: Get 30/70 mixed gas as @phildo79 is saying or else chase yourself into ever decreasing circles.

And Nitrogen is very hard to dissolve, so help it by getting the temperature down low. For a fairly long time. And perhaps do as Guinness and agitate at bone-crunching pressure (a "nitrogenater") to speed things along. You might get a special "stout" faucet to help get the nitrogen out again (into a head)

And nitrogen (and gases it is mixed with) remains a gas in the cylinders but compressed to a great degree (2-3000PSI). Pure Carbon Dioxide converts to a handy liquid at around 840psi so nothing like the pressure N2 is delivered at (not a liquid without special cryogenic equipment).

Finally (Hey, did I hear cheers?) you are not attempting to make "Stout". You are attempting to make a freezing cold Guinness clone. Proper stout doesn't need "nitrogen".

And finally-finally (Hey, did I hear boos?) apparently (!!!), nitrogen has an "anesthetic" effect on your ability to taste. That is responsible for the "smooth" flavour (and the low Carbonic Acid tang due to low CO2 content).

(That said, I actually like the Guinness 0.0 "no alcohol" stuff!).

Yes what he said but you can do this with a mini reg and n2 bulbs. It’s tricky and a juggling act. And. Not for full sized kegs.

Basically I carb up a few liters in a min keg to around 2 vol. then pop on the nitro bulb wait about 12 hours then serve a few pints of the creamiest cascading stout you can imagine . then place the co2 back on so it doesn’t go flat. Repeat the next day. Works very well. But juggling act like I said

Yes what he said but you can do this with a mini reg and n2 bulbs. It’s tricky and a juggling act. And. Not for full sized kegs.

Basically I carb up a few liters in a min keg to around 2 vol. then pop on the nitro bulb wait about 12 hours then serve a few pints of the creamiest cascading stout you can imagine . then place the co2 back on so it doesn’t go flat. Repeat the next day. Works very well. But juggling act like I said
Thanks for the comment. What pressure or vol CO2 do you use before attaching the mini reg?

But the 30/70 adds up as 30psi + 70psi at absolute pressure (excludes the weight of the atmosphere on the ground, or about 14.7psi).
I didn't write that out very clearly. Try:

"But the 30/70 adds up as 30% of total psi as CO2 + 70% of total psi as N2 at absolute pressure (excludes the weight of the atmosphere on the ground, or about 14.7psi, which a "normal" gauge will display as zero)."

I'd wish people would stop referring to "nitrogen" as "nitro"! "Nitro" sounds very "hip" but there's quite a few of is that connect "nitro" with "nitromethane" (for high powered vehicles). That'll make kegs go with a bang! (Might improve the pretend "stout" though).

Back