Mini Nitrogen Regulator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. Tried searching for this subject but couldn't find what I was looking for. Being a lover of Stouts and Porters, I've always wanted to be able to pour from my 5L mini kegs using nitrogen to get that smooth creamy texture. Well, I've suggested to the wife that santa could get me a mini nitrogen regulator, and despite the funny look, it's been sanctioned (her response was 'what a **** present'. She isn't a home brewer obviously).

So, has anyone got experience of using the mini nitrogen regulator that you can buy on TMM? It would be good to get feedback before santa orders a **** present. 😁

The reg is fine for dispense. Bear in mind you will use a hell of a lot of nitrogen to actually nitrogenate the beer because nitro is far less soluble in water than CO2, and therefore requires a lot more pressure to do so. I wouldn't use bulbs to nitrogenate, I'd use a proper nitrogen tank and regulator and then use bulbs for a portable dispense option.

The reg is fine for dispense. Bear in mind you will use a hell of a lot of nitrogen to actually nitrogenate the beer because nitro is far less soluble in water than CO2, and therefore requires a lot more pressure to do so. I wouldn't use bulbs to nitrogenate, I'd use a proper nitrogen tank and regulator and then use bulbs for a portable dispense option.
Thanks TGT. The description on TMM website (see screenshot below) says that you should just carbonate as normal and only use the Nitrogen to dispense. It says that one 2g bulb should dispense 4.5L of still liquid and more if already carbonated.

1637845025681.png

So, will I still get a smooth pour of stout if only being used for dispensing? I'm no Scientist or Gas Engineer, but I would have thought that the Nitrogen will just act as a pressure source to help push the already carbonated beer through the dip tube, tap and into my glass. Or, does the Nitrogen mix with the beer in the keg, giving you a gas mixture?

I've also been searching YouTube videos for advice, but they're all just on purely Nitro or CO2.

Attachments

• 1637845018783.png
    1637845018783.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 20
Pub gas cylinders for nitro pours are usually 70/30 Nitrogen/Co2 or 100% nitrogen. I guess if you carbonate with CO2 then dispense with nitrogen you'll get some kind of mix? Seems a bit uncontrolled to me - I wouldn't personally do that, but up to you. I would either use 70/30 all the way or Nitro all the way.

Hmmm, it's sounding like the purchase might not fully fulfil the need! I get the feeling that I would end up spending £45 on a reg and bulbs, only to spend more further down the line to achieve that smooth creamy Guinness-like stout. Further research and self-restraint from clicking that 'proceed to checkout' is required!

Hmmm, it's sounding like the purchase might not fully fulfil the need! I get the feeling that I would end up spending £45 on a reg and bulbs, only to spend more further down the line to achieve that smooth creamy Guinness-like stout. Further research and self-restraint from clicking that 'proceed to checkout' is required!
I'd agree!

I have the nitro dispenser you are talking about. When I first tried it on a very low carbonated stout it worked great, then I carbonated it slightly more, and i got a lot of foam! I also found with a 19l corny I had to use a lot of the bulbs towards the end of the keg so I gave up. With you trying it with a 5l keg it might work better.

I have the nitro dispenser you are talking about. When I first tried it on a very low carbonated stout it worked great, then I carbonated it slightly more, and i got a lot of foam! I also found with a 19l corny I had to use a lot of the bulbs towards the end of the keg so I gave up. With you trying it with a 5l keg it might work better.
Aha! Someone with product experience! So, my stout has done its 2 weeks of carbonating (by batch priming with a sugar solution to maybe 2.4 volumes, if I remember correctly) in the mini keg - if I was to use the mini nitro regulator to dispense, I will get the smooth creamy texture then?

I've been looking online at gas suppliers in my area, and although out of stock at the moment, there is a 5L cylinder of 70/30 gas for £54. I would just need a suitable regulator. Decisions decisions.

I'm not sure if you will. Like I said, I ended up with loads of foam trying it with carbonated beer. The stout spout has a restrictor plate in it, which needs higher pressure to force the beer through. This releases any CO2 in solution, which leads to the creamy head if done correctly, or just loads of foam if not!

You would need a different regulator if you wanted to use the bigger cylinder obviously. Going for a big cylinder would be cheaper in the Long term, if you plan on doing lots of stouts.

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but I have a similar dilemma, albeit my stout brewing tends to be less frequent.

What solution did you land on in the end @Begbie and are you happy with it?

Thanks
Hi DB,

I ended up going ahead and buying a nitrogen mini regulator, a nukatap stout spout and a box of N2 bulbs. Sure enough, just as RGeats said, I got a big foamy pour, but once it settled, and a few pours more, I had a pint of smoother, creamier tasting stout. 👍

If I remember correctly, I reduced the pressure on the keg to around 8psi and set the N2 regulator at 10psi so that there was positive pressure being applied by the N2, and served at that pressure. Maybe it could go higher but I thought that the pour would just be super foamy. That was my logic anyway. Maybe RGeats or others can confirm my logic or offer better advice.

Do you not need to carbonate the keg with 70/30 gas and then serve at over 40 psi? I have an adapter so my c02 reg will work with a nitro cylinder and am waiting on the nukatap stout spout. Then it's ingredients and gas time.

My understanding is not. Advice both on here and from Malt Miller is to carb with CO2 and then serve with nitro. The one variation is that MM did recommend a higher serving pressure: 30-35psi. I will experiment. My understanding is there's not much point carbonating with 70/30 gas because it's only the CO2 that creates the carbonation element and the nitro on serving provides the creaminess.

It was a while ago I did it, and I only carbonated to a few psi as I didn't want very fizzy stout. I think I served at quite high pressure, but it'll depend on your line length etc.

Back